Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moulds in tunnel and greenhouse  (Read 7863 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: moulds in tunnel and greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »
If I open the window I'll never get my washing dry - and I'll never get even the semblance of warmth...

With the windows closed where do you imagine the water from your washing is going ? into the air - condensing on the walls / windows and creating an ideal environment for mold / mildew.....

No - I have the clothes hanging above the dehumidifer, in front of the heater... That room is actually the driest in the house - it's the kitchen where I have the problem - and yes, I do have the extractor fan on when I'm cooking, and outside door and window is open a lot of the time... (As they say around here - I didn't come up the Clyde on a banana boat, you know!) Part of the problem is that the kitchen is north facing, with two outside walls. Nothing I can do about that.

And if not in the house - where would you in your infinite wisdom dry the clothes? With humidity close to 100%, if not actually raining outside at all times? And no, I can't have a tumble drier - neither money nor space to put it anywhere! (The council doesn't even provide space for a fridge in the kitchen, let alone any other luxury...)

To stop ranting (sorry!) and get back to the original problem - I'm just trying to find something that would keep mould to a minimum. I wash walls etc down with bleach quite regularly; just thought that there might be something that works to prevent dampness turning to mould quite so quickly. But I realise that what works in a greenhouse might not be very healthy for (relatively) human beings like me!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »
I use regular fungicidal wash applied liberally and undiluted to the walls and all other infected surfaces - every 6 months. Obviously not on stuff I use directly for food preparation. It keeps it under cotrol but doesn't solve the problem as such. Tell me when you find a solution.... :&>

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 02:17:55 pm »
Actually - I think I might have to invest in another dehumidifier, specially for the kitchen. Not that there is room for one... Just one additional item to stumble over. Just been looking at some online; seems there are some that work better in colder temperatures, so that might be the way to go. In the long run, it might even be cheaper than repeatedly having to wash down walls and repainting... Definitely cheaper than a tumble drier! And I'm quite used to the noise by now. Have been listening to it for years. (There was that article on BBC online not long ago, about how houses/flats in Britain are all too damp - because those pesky folk who live in them dare dry their washing indoors .... But where are you supposed to dry it? No room for that provided, neither in private nor council housing! That's different on the continent, where you tend to have a special room for laundry (often shared), even in "affordable" housing.)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 04:20:14 pm »
We dry our washing in the room that holds the boiler, on one of these old-fashioned pulley things. Like you I never had an issue with mould in there, Ina, and also never owned a tumble dryer in my life. The kitchen is the room I spend most hours in the day in so the fungicide's the only option for me. If you already have the spores a dehumidifier might slow the growth but will not kill them. I would at least give it one treatment and then use the humidifier.  :&>

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 07:26:47 pm »
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've ordered another dehumidifier now - it'll probably be spring before I can get the walls treated; want to do a proper job this time - it needs painting again - and then, hopefully, it'll stay clear for a while!

Whichever way you look at it, it costs money.  :-\

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 07:57:07 pm »
health as well, Ina. My breathing was really suffering before, I only noticed that the mould must have been the cause when I felt so much better after the wall treatment.... :&>

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 08:14:41 pm »
So far that's not been a problem - touch wood! But you are right, of course. At least the mould's not in the bedroom...

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 08:37:55 pm »
Hi  Padge,

No the sulphur candles can't be used while there are plants in the tunnel.

Blight is occurrs when the temp and humidity are above certain levels for a set period of time - you can register at the potato blight watch service using your postcode to get alerts when conditions are right in your area for blight - obviously its different in a tunnel, but the same applies temp and humidity so ventilation is essential.

I dont know if the mold is linked to the blight, but I would again suggest ventilating and perhaps researching for products that can be used to spray off mold on your plants.

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 06:38:15 am »
Thanks for that sfs :sunshine:

It is only on one variety of cabbage so far so will remove and destroy those and see how we go    the tunnel has net doors at either end but may have to look at putting side ventilation in :thumbsup:

Padge

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:13 am »
it might just wash off, Padge :&>

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 07:08:29 am »
the affected leaves appear to be rotting so have removed them.....the hearts were only just forming........have other varieties that appear to be unaffected tho :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS