Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moulds in tunnel and greenhouse  (Read 7881 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
moulds in tunnel and greenhouse
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:47:26 pm »
I checked them today and everything is covered in grey....I suppose the blight and mould spores are taking over. I was thinking of digging up a good layer of soil and replacing it with new sterilised compost from the council. I am worried about flying spores and all the work will have been for nothing....any ideas? I hear mares tail soak may be good sprayed on but it won't be coming into growth for some months yet and that will be too late. ??? :&>

Re: moulds in tunnel and greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:08:33 pm »
Sulphor candles
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:11:49 pm »
sounds good - can't find them on your website. do you seel them?  :&>

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »
whilst we're at it, do you sell blight resistant tatties (Sarpo or similar)? Can't seem to see those either but it's the only ones that have a chance here....tired a lot of others
what's your delivery cost for either? Must be blind today...
Cheers, mate :&>

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 05:51:08 pm »
Hi,

No we dont stock Sarpo.

What do you suffer from? leaf blight or Tuber blight?

A good resistant Main Crop Variety is Cara which scors roughly the same on blight resistance as Sarpo and can be seen here : http://varieties.potato.org.uk/display_description.php?variety_name=Cara The British potato council database is a fantastic resource for looking at the charateristics of potatoes - like a spud who's who. Delivery costs are shown at checkout and depends how remote you are in the country - but as you can imagine, transporting a 25Kg sack of seed potatoes costs more than £1.00  :bunny:

Thanks

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:03:15 pm »
I think quite a few seed potato varieties won't be available after the disastrous season last year...

I've been thinking - can you use sulphur candles for human habitation, too? (Probably not, but I thought it might be an easier way of getting rid of mould in my kitchen...  ::) )

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:09:14 pm »
I certainly would NOT use a sulphur candle in your home - they give off very nasty fumes and are meant for greenhouses and tunnels only.

Quite a few Potato varieties are available this year - but quantities are limited and they are selling out fast - as supermarket potato prices are set to rise this year....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »
Any suggestions for mould in homes then SfS?  My conservatory radiator isn't keeping it at bay.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »
Well Im no expert - but mold / mildew inside a building is usually caused by condensation - so either open some windows to ventilate or maybe a de-humidifier?

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 06:44:58 pm »
Well Im no expert - but mold / mildew inside a building is usually caused by condensation - so either open some windows to ventilate or maybe a de-humidifier?

I keep hearing that about open the windows - well, the humidity out there is constantly around 90%; in my house it is (with the de-humidifier going) around 70-75%. My mathematics tell me that opening the window would make conditions worse - yes? If I open the window I'll never get my washing dry - and I'll never get even the semblance of warmth...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 06:59:06 pm »
we had the same problem with it in the kitchen, even in the bedroom on the window (it doesn't open). We washed all the walls after taking any paper off with sugarsoap first and then with standard house fungicide treatment. It lasts about 6 months and I can just see it starting off again although we now have windows that open in the kitchen. I fear that it harbours between plasterboard and walls....nightmare! At least the greenhouse and tunnel can be treated properly!
Re tatties - I had a blight variety that affected the leaves. We did cut the foliage off early so before digging up any rogues I won't be able to tell if it affected the tubers as well. It's likely though. :&>

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:13:06 pm »
If I open the window I'll never get my washing dry - and I'll never get even the semblance of warmth...

With the windows closed where do you imagine the water from your washing is going ? into the air - condensing on the walls / windows and creating an ideal environment for mold / mildew.....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:33:01 pm »
My conservatory is quite new, double glazed, there is a  radiator connected to the central heating system, but the main stat is in the hall, so I think my problem is the periforal rads go off before they should as the heat builds up in the hallway.  If I turn the valve down on the hall rad and fully open the conservatory one would that help?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 08:58:39 am »
SfS    we had serious blight both on the tomatoes in the poly and the potatoes outside   both crops devastated    we currently have grey mould showing on one of the brassica varieties in the poly......my question is   is it likely to be linked to the previous years blight  and how to treat    i read about sulphur candles but the poly is pretty full with winter cabbage broccoli sprouts carrots and cauli and as far as i can make out you can't use them with crops in there     any advice would be much appreciated :thumbsup: 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS