Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed bags.....what do you do with them?  (Read 9329 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Feed bags.....what do you do with them?
« on: January 10, 2013, 01:45:26 pm »
I've got empty plastic ones piling up high.  I'm fed up with shoving them in the bin (won't be taken as recyclables).
What do you do with yours?

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Feed bags.....what do you do with them?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:53:40 pm »
most of our feed comes in paper sacks or loose, but the small number of plastic sacks get filled up with pig muck and sold to the allotments.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:40:22 pm »
Filled (quarter or so) with soil they can be used to weigh down fleece/enviromesh over your crops... Better than stones, as they don't tear the material.

I'd take a dozen or so off you if you were anywhere near... We always hang on to the few we get!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:57 pm »
I like your suggestion Ina  :thumbsup:

We use ours for all sorts of things - covering the car windscreen when there's a frost due, filling with persistant weeds which need to die before they can be composted, as rubbish sacks in the polytunnel, workshops, garage etc, feedbags for sheep at shows, stuffed with hay or fresh grass (with a single small hole cut) and there are always people who want some - same with empty licky buckets.

Oh yes - I use them to put salted sheep skins in for sending them to the tanners, as long as they don't have any holes.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 04:14:16 pm »
Mine are mostly paper which I can recycle.  Plastic ones I usually bin but I have used them, with holes punctured near the bottom, to grow potatoes.  Roll the tops down then, as you earth us, roll the sides back up.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:20:22 pm »
We've used them to grow tatties in, start with the top half rolled down and just unroll and add soil as they grow  :thumbsup:
What about bags of firewood/maunre ? Or offer to gardeners as heavy duty garden waste bags ?

If you're making any temporary arcs (for chickens or pigs) using pallets you can use them as a roof covering (with the addition of a bit of chicken wire either side to save them blowing away  ;))

There must be more 'useful' uses though  :thinking:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 04:53:25 pm »
Cut open, lay on ground overlapping, punch a few holes with a fork, lay gravel or bark on top. Helps keep weeds down between raised beds.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 04:58:06 pm »

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:08:54 pm »
I stopped buying pig and poultry feed from suppliers who use plastic bags as they're such a pain. The masses of paper ones we end up with either get used as rubbish bags, go into the compost heap, or our latest use for them is to spread them on the veg patch as weed suppresors which seems to be working well. When we're ready to use the ground we'll just dig what's left of them in.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 05:15:15 pm »
our nice people at the recycling and waste centre let us take ours there, we reuse some too. Maybe as most are our horsey ones they dont see it as commercial.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »
bag them into 10's and sell them at the car boot for £1.00

Ian

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 05:28:13 pm »
I fill mine with goodies for the charity shop or use them to fill as rag bags. Shopping bags are way to small ;) :&>   

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:05:33 pm »
Chop dry kindling and put that in them for storage or sale.

Store dry leaves for the chicken runs.

Bag chicken poo for composting.

Keep potash for summer soil baths for the chickens to reduce lice and red mite.

Open up to cover the compost and keep the flies down.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:50:40 pm »
We put them under our poultry nets (pegged down with tent pegs) to stop the grass growing and to stop the fences from shorting.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 12:06:00 am »
We currently have one placed under a roof tile, preventing rainwater from getting in where a honeysuckle grew a wee bit too big and entered the loft, taking the tiles and felt with it! 

Others are used to/as:

*  cover the floor of the chicken house with them for quick and easy cleaning out (roll up the bags enclosing all the poop and 'sweep' off the bags onto the compost
*  covers for the compost when needed
*  plastic cover for raised beds when mulching material needed
*  bags that get filled with recyclable plastics to take to the recycling centre
*  hung up to be a bag of dog pooh bags
*  filled with soil and acting as a weight on an Onduline roof that has had an argument with its beams!

I'm sure I have forgotten other uses we have made of them.  I'd miss them now, if we stopped getting them!
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS