Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed bags.....what do you do with them?  (Read 9421 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Feed bags.....what do you do with them?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:10:21 am »
can't believe you've all left out the most important use of plastic feedbags.......

:cold:   SLEDGING!!!!!!!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 12:09:07 pm »
They are the best things out for lighting the rayburn and woodburner, never fail. :innocent:

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »
Tizzala - not the plastic ones surely?

We have plastic ones from local supplier ( for when we have not ordered the paper ones by the ton). Paper ones used under chicken perches in barn, and to make poop easier to remove when they have been roosting where they shouldn't. Most are in a big pile in another barn waiting for next random use that isn't compost.

The plastic ones have been verrrrry useful for collecting old plaster and building rubbish from our house renovation to take to the dump.  We cannot recycle here ( due to animal waste contamination...even if super clean).

I am looking at the plastic ones for potato growing, but also wondered if I could somehow used them horizontally for tomato planters ( we have an excess of highly nutrient rich well rotted compost in barns from previous occupents horse storage ).

But sledging would also be an option, if only we had snow, or hills  :(   
Jo

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:06 pm »
DIY growbags are a good idea so long as you can seal the cut open end.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:21 pm »
Thanks...lots of good uses!.   I love the idea of popping them down under the chicken netting...ingeneous! ...such a pain having to cut back the grass.  Bottom of chicken house, easy cleaning....blimmin brilliant. love that idea. I've always been reliant on newspaper but it gets bit soggy and doesn't pick up too well.  Like the idea of bagging them up into 10's too. We have a stall outside our house and I'll do this when we get the veg sales going again. Cool  : :thumbsup:
As for sledging...... Yes yes YES!!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 05:20:08 pm »
Loving the sledging idea!! Reggie, our Togg wether, broke our plastic sledge last year - he's 14 stone and I think him sledging was a daft idea but he did it none the less and put a hoof through. This way, no outlay and my kids get sledges -  :excited:  their friends might look at them a bit oddly though...hey ho  ;) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 10:13:42 pm »
Just tell th other kids they're designer sledges.  They'll all want one.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 06:46:54 pm »
DIY growbags are a good idea so long as you can seal the cut open end.

You know the millions of rubber elastrator rings left over each year when you only have a couple of males to castrate?

Use the rest for sealing bags  :thumbsup:  spot on!
I uses to use them for sealing home made small m]bale/bag silage ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 08:29:29 pm »
Brilliant idea.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 05:52:52 pm »
I gave one to my saddleback weaners the other day, while they were shut in their small outdoor space as OH was building a new shelter for them and it kept them busy for ages - shaking it and big games of tug of war  ;D They were like playful puppies :excited: :excited:
All supervised of course and the bag didn't get torn - just punctured a bit!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 08:52:50 pm »
 :roflanim:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:29 am »
bag them into 10's and sell them at the car boot for £1.00

Really??  What do the people who buy them use them for?

Loving some of these ideas!  I just tend to bin them!

OH did try using one for sledging but he wasn't impressed, especially when our son whizzed past him on his plastic sledge  :excited:

Helen

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 10:00:16 am »
[]

Really??  What do the people who buy them use them for?

Loving some of these ideas!  I just tend to bin them!

OH did try using one for sledging but he wasn't impressed, especially when our son whizzed past him on his plastic sledge  :excited:

Helen
They buy 'em to put their rubbish in from their gardens, garage etc or for grass clippings, moving house all sorts of things.
Tell OH to fill his bag half full with straw or a cushion and he'll get a better sledging experience on his plaggy bag!
mandy :pig:

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 04:29:52 pm »
Hey! Norfolk Newbies we sure have snow now! Tibenham looks very pictureskew in the snow, not so good in the dry !!
We use our plastic dog food bags, from 5 dogs, for taking hay out into the snow for the sheep and they are good for taking kindling and firewood indoors. Like the idea of potato grow bags.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:22 pm »
Zwartbles, we too use them for bringing firewood into the house - saves a lot of bits falling on the floor! Also taking straw down to the duck houses for bed changes.
I am going to fill some of mine with horse poo and try and sell at the road end and going to try the potato grow bags too.
Oh and a use for the paper ones - wrap things in them for posting - saves on brown paper!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS