Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adjoining land issues  (Read 3387 times)

northern crofter

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Black isle
Adjoining land issues
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:29:32 pm »
Hello all,
1st post and already i am looking for advice!
I have just bought a small croft (7.5 acres) which is ideal for our needs, but the problem is that the low lying area has very bad drainage.
I did a wee bit of detective work last week and discovered that the woodland my ditches drain into has not been maintained and the ditches there have blocked with fallen trees etc and is causing a back up into my land.
With it being the holiday period i have not had the chance to call the land owners (forestry commission) but i was wondering if anyone can give me some info on where i stand with regard to them fixing the drainage ditches asap.

I was hoping top do some upgrading of the drains on my own property but i don't see the point until the outfall has been sorted.

Thanks in advance, Jim.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Adjoining land issues
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 12:52:44 pm »
Hi Jim,

you could try going onto the FC website and finding out who your 'local' forester is or who is responsible for maintaining the forestry in your area and speak to them direct, they may be more sympathetic than speaking to the FC directly.
Also, do you know if the fallen trees etc are a result of thinnings or windblow? If its thinnings then they should have removed what they cut, if its windblow then they might be planning to clear it up as part of their planned maintenance but who knows when?

Short term solution is build a sink hole

hope thats of use to you, how far north are you?  :wave:

FRH
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:17:29 pm »
I don't know whether it would be possible to keep the wood that's blocking your ditches in return for clearing it for the FC - thereby sorting your drain out and getting a supply of free wood.

I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you have a wood burning stove or may be in need of a supply of free wood.

So maybe you could negotiate with them.

We have neighbours who care less about the border fence than we do so we tend to do the maintenance in return for being able to get onto their land to do it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:04:08 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:14:05 pm »
Agree that finding out who the local forestry guy is, and having a friendly chat will achieve lots - complaining to HQ will probably have the opposite effect, so as i'm sure you were planning a soft approcah should work wonders. 

Making friends will give you a lifetime of co-operation !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

northern crofter

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Black isle
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks.
I was definitely going to go down the route of contacting the local officer when the office opens again in the new year, just wondering if anyone had similar issues and whether i should expect a positive outcome or not.

It will be a fair old contract to repair all the parts of the ditching that i saw when i did the recce recently.
The complete ditch from where it exits my land to the main outlet is about a mile long.
PS..... FRH, just a few miles north of Inverness.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:20 pm »
ach that should be southern crofter then..ha ha we're 100 miles north of Inverness
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

northern crofter

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Black isle
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:58:18 am »
ach that should be southern crofter then..ha ha we're 100 miles north of Inverness
Wick direction or Durness direction?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 10:38:24 am »
Durness direction, an hour north of Ullapool, near Lochinver..the windy West

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »
I had a few dealings with my local Forestry Commission people,  and I found them 100% helpful,  often going beyond what I'd asked for and including me on invite lists to meetings that might remotely affect my enjoyment of my land.  As mentioned above,  it really is worth getting to know your local team.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS