Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water & Mud on temp road surface  (Read 2507 times)

thegreatorangeone

• Joined Aug 2012
Water & Mud on temp road surface
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:37:52 pm »
Hi All

Long time reader but I think I now have an issue I could do with a little assistance on.

Been trying to build the dream for the last 5 years with varying success but will not go into that too much now.

Current issue is a small temp road and parking area (for 5 cars) which last summer we covered in grass protector and for a while it seemed to cope well but with all this rain and usage it is now unusable due to mud coming through the track (I think this is due to the surface water) and vehicles sliding of the slight incline and rutting the field next to the track.

The plan for correction is to pull it all up, level the area, put down a hardier grass seed to hopefully have more success next winter.

In addition was thinking of of few other things which might help.

1. Planting willow trees above the area to soak up some of the water. I have read this can have a dramatic drying effect has anyone tried this?

2. Possibly digging a ditch to divert the surface water away from the area. Have no experience with ditches would a foot deep ditch be effective in diverting surface water? there does seem to be a natural dip which channels surface water over the road area.

3. I think I read you can build a farm track without planning permission i.e. two tracks for the tyres, can anyone confirm this? The area is right next to a right of way and our neighbours take a great interest in what we do so just hardcoring without planning could be a recipe for disaster.

Any other ideas anyone has would be great

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Water & Mud on temp road surface
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:20:35 pm »
Some things are important to determine the track planning status: the size of the holding (can matter for planning), what country you are in, whether the track exits onto or near to a classified road and what the land is classified as (agricultural, equestrian or something else).
Assuming you are in England then this publication might be useful summary.
http://www.acorus.co.uk/userfiles/factsheets/(11)-farmtracks_(pdf)_020512(final).pdf
Essentially things are a lot easier if you are over 5 hectare holding and you arent exiting onto a classified road.

thegreatorangeone

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Water & Mud on temp road surface
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:55:23 pm »
Hi Thanks for the response

We do have over 5 hectares of agricultural land in England but the area in question is 300m from the main road, however we have a track running down the side of our field (which is ok to drive on with a 4wd) but the extra road and parking is for access to the canal bank (Boats moored) which will not come under the classification of Agricultural use.

The main reason for using the temp road originally was due to the area cutting up badly last winter, we hoped this would solve the problem. unfortunately I think the weather this year has not helped. While the track has stopped the area cutting up where it is the mud has resulted in cars slipping off the track onto uncovered areas generating more mud.

We are hoping to come up with an inexpensive solution to the issue hopefully re utilising the existing temp road (It will need to be lifted and refitted)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS