Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leftovers recipes  (Read 15060 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Leftovers recipes
« on: December 26, 2012, 07:35:03 am »
Ooops - we've got alot of food left over from yesterday's lunch.

Fortunately we've got people round today so I am hoping to make everything out of the leftovers.

I have a few recipes but what are other people's favorite recipes for dealing with leftovers?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
Re: Leftovers recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:00 am »
a festive meat loaf is good just chop lots of things together (meal and veg) place meat around the tin you use and fill - I normally have loads of gravy & baked spuds  with it .....

have a nice meal
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:37 am »
We did a left over mash up today.

Mashed the potatoes (boiled and roast and the garlic and onions done with them), carrots (roast and boiled), roast parsnips and sprouts all together. Chopped up the meat (did two lots one pork one chicken).

Fried in a little oil and if you have a small amount you can just do that until it is crisp. I had a lot so fried then put it in the oven for 10 mins with a covering of cheese. Served with cranberry sauce, apple sauce and gravy.

Went down well with the whole family.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:51:01 am »
Frying the leftover veg is something I do most weeks with what is left from Sunday dinner. Its like a sort of glorified bubble and squeek and I love it.
I watched Gino d'Campo make a pie with leftover turkey, ham, bread sauce etc and it looked fantastic. I am going to make one today.
http://www.itv.com/food/recipes/turkey-and-ham-pie-0
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:41:04 am »
How about 'Boxing Day Soup' ?
Have never tried but heard of recently. Everything into stock pot, just covered with some veg stock, heated through and then whizzed  :fc:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 04:19:58 pm »
The leftover meals are the best!

Use up your leftover turkey, gravy, pigs in blankets and stuffing, by frying some mushrooms, adding all the things mentioned before, a bit of water. Serve with boiled rice.

We also usually have turkey biyiani (sp?) make up a veggie curry sauce, add in the leftover turkey chopped up, serve with rice.

Or a turkey pie in white sauce with mushrooms and a little bit of bacon.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 06:05:18 pm »
Poultryman's Pie for left over turkey or chicken.  Fry a chopped onion and some mushrooms in butter/margarine.  Grill or fry some bacon or bacon pieces.  Chop turkey/chicken into bite size chunks.  Make a thick white sauce and stir in all the above and put the lot into an oven proof dish.  Top with mashed potato and cover with grated cheese.  Bake at about Gas mark 4 until heated through and lovely and brown.  Serve with whatever veg you fancy (or have left over).   :yum: :yum:

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 10:54:03 pm »
Now i am hungry!   :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »
I think I like leftovers better than the original meal, I have often made posh bubble and squeak and love it Yum yum

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 11:37:23 pm »
meals made from whatever is left over all ways taste better, as a fine wine the longer its left the better the drink - just dont leave the food to long or you end up in XXXXXXXX

can some one help -- reading the other day that people in the uk throw away £12 billion of food each year - who are these people as we worked out that we actual through out around £8 per year in waste - all our food is used for us

can someone tell where these charities/groups get there numbers from....

aand wishing you all a happy new year and all your seeds grow into something...... :excited: :wave:
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 12:28:35 am »
I've wondered that, anderso, until I read a letter in a magazine where a woman was saying how she had  to save money.  She hit on this wonderful idea to use the rest of the Sunday joint to make another dish (something like cottage pie with chopped up beef) and how the whole family loved it.  Sounding like she was taking all the credit for this wonderful new idea, she said she was going to see if she could come up with some other recipes for using up food instead on binning it, and recommending that other people did the same.

I began to wonder if I was the only person in the country who could make one large chicken feed four for three days then use the carcase to make soup.   ::)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 08:09:11 am »
Couldn't agree more MGM. We get seven meals out of a chicken, then stock from the carcass and after that the bones get put to dry for a week in the bottom of the oven before they are ground up and composted.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 12:23:04 pm »
i believe the most part of that 12billion a year is thrown out by supermarkets, thanks to their useless, pointless 'sell by' and 'use by' dates.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »
I'm not so sure if it's most of that - seeing what some of my friends have been chucking out, it's just unbelievable... Even some otherwise reasonably intelligent people told me that biscuits, one day after "best before" date, must not be eaten - danger of food poisoning!!!

If they only knew... that, for example, I'm still using raisins in my baking that were out of date several years ago...  ;D That I've just checked a packet of "Quark" (German soft cheese) with the sell by date of 13/12 and decided it's perfectly ok and will use it in a bake tonight...

Ergh, if I'm not around after tonight's tea you'll know why!  :-\

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 06:42:59 pm »
If any of you see my FB page you will see the amount of food I get very cheaply, often 10p for each item, most is made into soups or stews that will be either eaten as a meal or used in stocks for other meals, mu husband loves to take soup to work now instead of bread, we hardly waste anything except the odd moldy thing or soggy thing, we also had loads of fruit for 10p a bag and I made some spiced fruit and froze loads to take out for bread and butter puddings, crumbles, on our porrage etc etc,,,,,,,there are lots of people who read the sell buy date then throw away....sad really. Our dogs often have mackeril or something fishy...I have a freezer full of lovely stuff !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS