Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leftovers recipes  (Read 15037 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Leftovers recipes
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:25 pm »
I love salad but my OH won't touch anything that is not cooked except tomatoes, so I don't do much more than open a bag of salad leaves (unless I pick my own) and chuck in a tomato or two.

HGL, when have you chatted with me on Facebook?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 10:21:35 pm »
Lisa's threads I think......dose Wendy ring a bell?  Sure it's you

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 10:24:29 pm »
Aah.  I remember a Wendy on Lisa's posts.  I'm Lesley Silvester and I think I'm the only one who posts on hers, although there are a few of us around.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 10:28:26 pm »
 :wave:  All this talk of leftovers is making me hungry.....

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:03 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20968076

This made me think of this topic, time home economics was brought back into the curriculum, taught me to cook basics, sew and plan household chores and meals.
Last weeks surplus rice from a curry night was frozen and used yesterday to go with chilli which in turn was made in part using half a cup of homemade tomato soup that wasn't used up the day before, leftover chilli from last night is todays lunch, the stub end of the ham which has supplied sandwiches for OH today is going into a quiche tonight for tomorrows lunches.
i've already planned for next weeks meals and booked my shop online. I know people have very busy lives but it really only does take minimal time to do this once you've had a quick look in your freezer, fridge and cupboards.
People need to be taught/learn life skills.
mandy :pig:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 01:24:29 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20968076

This made me think of this topic, time home economics was brought back into the curriculum, taught me to cook basics, sew and plan household chores and meals.
Last weeks surplus rice from a curry night was frozen and used yesterday to go with chilli which in turn was made in part using half a cup of homemade tomato soup that wasn't used up the day before, leftover chilli from last night is todays lunch, the stub end of the ham which has supplied sandwiches for OH today is going into a quiche tonight for tomorrows lunches.
i've already planned for next weeks meals and booked my shop online. I know people have very busy lives but it really only does take minimal time to do this once you've had a quick look in your freezer, fridge and cupboards.
People need to be taught/learn life skills.

Mandy I'm not quite as good as you at using leftovers and I'm not very inventive but I do try to do as you have said.
I did home economics, or housecraft as it was called at my school, and I have found it invaluable. We got taught all the basics, many of which I still use today.
I think it should be a compulsory subject for both boys and girls today.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 02:49:15 pm »

I think it should be a compulsory subject for both boys and girls today.
Sally

True enough - but I had none of that at school, don't even have fridge or freezer, and still manage to cook and plan ahead and live with minimum waste... I think even if kids get taught at school, they might not be willing/able to apply it! It's more an attitude issue.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:22 pm »
Many, I still try to hang my tea towels stripe down on the line  :innocent:  Home economics should be what it says on the tin, how to run a home with basic stuff, so many people think they have nothing to eat but putting a simple store cupboard together gives  you endless opertunities, providing you do not have fuss pots to cook for.
Luckily my husband is not fussy and would have the same meal most nights and not complain, I do try to batch cook and thats just like having a take away, I love the easy stuff to cook......Tonight I am making a pasta dish with leftover bits of nice cheese, and some ham bits, I bought some ready made mushrooms in garlic sauce a while back for 10p a tub, so some of that will go in too, wonderful flavors, all with some garlic bread. I made a small trifle from cakes I made and put in the freezer, some fruit gathered from the forest and some custard..that should be nice, I still have some bread and butter pudding left that I put loads of my 10p fruit that I spiced up and cooked with honey and cinnamon, sort of a christmas tasty bread and butter pudding and its so cheap (bread 10p as well) My daughter said she had some ginger bread and butter pudding, must try that, I bet they used Ginger jam.

:excited:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 04:54:36 pm »
Many, I still try to hang my tea towels stripe down on the line  :innocent: 
OMG i thought that was just ME! ;D  Your posh bread & butter puds sound scrummy. OH doesn't like it so i only get it if we're out which isn't very often!
Migth make myself a few mini ones  :yum:
Mandy :pig:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 05:54:58 pm »
Bread and butter pudding is wonderful and less fattening than steam ones....I also used some chicken eggs I froze from when we had loads....I am going through the freezer and the hardest thing to use up are the joints of meat...I just like them roasted!! I did want to buy a Turkey crown but never got to the supermarket!!
I make enough for my husband to take to work, he usually takes soup and his work colleges are not keen on the Stilton and Cauli soup but it tastes nice, I also made a posh fish pie with Scottish smoked haddock and Scottish Salmon that again, I bought for pennies and there was sooo much, after that meal I made fish cakes for the next day!!! I go to B&M a lot and they sell all sorts of nice bits for added flavor, sometimes I wish I had my girls back to enjoy the food rather than me pigging it all up!! :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:38 pm »
Anyone tried a savoury bread and butter pudding?  It's a good way to use up stale bread.  Made just like a sweet one but layering the slices of b&b with grated cheese and chopped onion.  If you have some leftover veggies you can add those.  Pour over the egg/milk mix, top with grated cheese and bake.  Makes a good filling dinner.

Another recipe a friend showed me for using up leftover veg:  bake blind a pastry case, put a layer of sliced hard boiled eggs on the bottom and top with the leftover veg.  Pour a thick cheese sauce over and bake until browned.   :yum:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 09:38:16 am »
I used to have a Marguerite Patten cook book when i first started keeping house and it was my bible, i lent it to a friend who'd just got married and she never returned it, there were loads of thrifty ideas in that very similar to the recipes mentioned above by MGoM.
Mandy :pig:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 11:47:09 am »
I used to use my cookery book from school :innocent:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »
I used to use my cookery book from school :innocent:
isn't that wierd i still have mine too, my handwritings never improved, good job i type on here! First entry in it is "Class 1N home economics September 1977 Rock Cakes" ...........and as i recall they were ;D
mandy :pig:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 01:00:24 pm »
I was married in 72 and that book ended up covered in marge and flour  ::)
I remember making rock cakes, think the stuff I made then has been stuck in my head
 forever....I then helped out in home economics in an upper school, they did so many strange things, I kept thinking most in the class needed good basic stuff, I still remember making white sauce,.......
I hate to say this but children all should learn basic cookery at school...shame its all so exam orientated now

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS