Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: border collies  (Read 9632 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: border collies
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 02:59:10 pm »
Thank you SITN.  Good to have different opinions because all dogs are individuals and what works with one needs modifying/different approach for another.

I was worried about squishing completely her instinct to herd. Not that much work of that sort to do here but want to be able to do a bit with her if she takes to it ..... if she turns out to be a collie with no interest in sheep then it won't be a disaster .... we can do plenty of other types of "work" (from what I have read).

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 03:12:19 pm »
Sorry, posted that before adding that my neighbour has been to see Meg and brought lots of collie books for me to read. He wasn't completely sure about best approach with chooks as his dogs are never put in the position of having anything on hand to chase .... out of kennel, trained and back in kennel .... as dad's gundogs were.

He thinks that it would be best not to allow any stalking because this could at this stage (no obedience training) turn quickly into chasing ... a game not to be encouraged. Think I'll go for this but use the threatened ground approach and not be too harsh .... just in case. Only lab. that my dad returned to its owner with "I'll carry on but it's a waste of your money" was a bitch that had been treated too harshly as a pup, confused and lost every confidence to do anything at all  ???  ... it's a fine line with some dogs.

Thanks again .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »
Aye, it depends on the individual.  Some are emotionally very robust - and from what I've seen of him, jaykay's Skye is such a one  :D - and others less so.  My Dot is amazing, but if she gets worried that she's not 'doing it right' she just decamps back to the quad bike, or her kennel, and waits in safety.  So I have to be very careful to not reprimand her - she's always trying to 'do it right', so if it's going wrong it's not through her want of trying! 

A collie that's going to genuinely work sheep needs a lot of confidence, in itself and also in you to back it up if it needs it.  Being obsessive, sensitive and often not emotionally robust creatures, I find it more productive to growl at the place I don't want them to be, rather than to let rip at the dog itself. 

You sound pretty dog-savvy, ith.  Hopefully if we all furnish you with our varied views, you'll be able to decide what suits your dog and your situation. :thumbsup:

Ah, you've just posted about the pup that lost its confidence, so I can see that you understand where I'm coming from.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 05:33:38 pm »

If she does rush at them, do not shout at or throw anything at her, but threaten the ground between her and the chooks.  So that she would have to leave a place where no-one is shouting at her or threatening her to move into a place where both of those things are happening.  99.99% of the time, possibly more, they won't do it.

Mine does, but only because the cockerel tries (and sometimes succeeds) to see him off.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS