Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: building a shelter  (Read 3731 times)

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
building a shelter
« on: December 23, 2012, 05:53:35 pm »
I am about to build a 8x8 field shelter for my goats and sheep.
It will be 8x8 as thats the length of the 6x1inch planks I have scrouged! With a corrugated roof.

I was thinking of what fall I should have on the roof? the roof will over hang the front of the shelter by 2ft, therefore it will be 10ft or so.
Would a fall of 6inch be enough front to back or do I need as much as 1ft????????????

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: building a shelter
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:14:54 pm »
If the roof sheets are in 10' lengths then a 1 in 20 gradient would be OK i guess, though leaf litter and the like may tend to accumulate on the roof over time, adding weight and causing sag, and accelerating corrosion if it's a tin roof. if you have shorter sheets and are overlapping them, then you may have problems with the wind pushing water through the overlap, if the wind blows that way.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:29:02 pm »
Try and make it as steep as poss - think of snow loading, but also think of your eye/head level when you are dealing with animals - you don't want to keep hitting your head off it or to have the animals nibbling the corners.  Also think when the water/snow runs off it will make a wet line on the ground below if you don't intend to put a gutter on it.  Make it run away from the entrance area where the animals are walking or it will get muddy quickly.  Putting a plastic gutter on and running it to a water butt is easy and provides a useful water supply at hand.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:12:29 pm »
Agree as much fall as possible. Snow needs to slide off aided by the heat of the animals. 6" snow on the roof may bring it down, 12" will.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS