Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: simple cheap heating for home barn or cglasshouse ??  (Read 5764 times)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
simple cheap heating for home barn or cglasshouse ??
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:15:28 pm »
I came across this rocket-mass - heater  today and thought some one some where might find it useful and very easy & cheap to make .
http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp
Such a stove  with the firebox/feed tube could be situated several feet away form the heated building , it could be made to burn not only wood bits but straw and paper .
Once you get some residual heat into things you'd have a drying room for clothes etc and could also heat you home with one .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:35:48 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: simple cheap heating for home barn or cglasshouse ??
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:46:01 am »
We're looking to put heating into our workshop. This might work.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:30 pm »
Now if somebody could persuade the council to put this kind of heating into their houses...

Dream on.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:17:14 pm »
Most wood stoves here have an extra box around them made of tiles lined with firebricks maximising the heat output.
I like the idea of these stoves...does anyone use one...I have a few questions...Where does the ash go? (if there is any...must be some!)
How often would it need feeding if running it permenantly....or is the idea you have a short hot fire to thouroughly heat the cob/fire bricks/ whatever......and then let it go out, clean it out and start again later on.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:56:15 pm »
Bet it's a major problem to get the flue hot enough to burn efficiently and draw. I've already dismissed it completely!!! If the flue doesn't flow it will soot. Damp branches are soot another problem. Nah -rubbish.

Cheapest heating has got to be vaporised paraffin. A real pain to start and loads of health and safety issues but then sooo cheap. Can heat and light the kitchen with a Tilley lamp for peanuts. 10 hours for 2 litres. Stuck my fingers to the top once when I had the urge to clean the glass and hold it steady. Took a month to heal.

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 08:06:43 am »
Hello,

I don't know how good this particular configuration may be, other than I see a lot of wasted heat going out the chimney,  but the principle is well understood and utilized throughout most of central and northern Europe. I had one and thought is was probably potentially the best heating source for your home, in terms of efficiency, economy, environment and type of heat, (radiant).

Like the one shown mine had a bench area that was well used plus a built in bread oven but other constructions and features are possible and almost limitless depending on the imagination of the design.

I don't get this idea that it would not be suitable for inside the house, other than that they are intrinsically massive and take up a fair bit of space. Still, it's not as if this is just a secondary form of heating or something done for the hell of it. With the right set-up this is the best form of primary heating for a house that there is.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:15:16 am by Donald »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:20:09 am »
the rocket stove is a well proved principle that is used in many forms, from tiny homemade camping stoves to big on -site jobbies. great fun and highly efficient. potential of over 2000 degrees of heat.

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:21:11 am »
Hello,

I still see this plan, having taken a little closer look at the information, as a bit of an uninformed adaptation of the traditional idea of the radiant heater, with room for a better use of the fuel by a top down combustion instead of from underneath which is sucking the cold outside air directly into the burn chamber, and then, channeling residual gasses back through the burn chamber for a second burn instead of around it, and then simply sealing the whole thing off once combustion ceases. And these barrels seem an inadequate improvisation destined to burn up themselves with even moderate use.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:30:46 pm »
I'm building these for the brooding sheds gas bottle the next 1 will be a pellet burner
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:34:15 pm by Victorian Farmer »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:06:10 pm »
thats just a woodburner vf, not a rocket. it could be adapted however.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 09:52:27 pm »
Bet it's a major problem to get the flue hot enough to burn efficiently and draw. I've already dismissed it completely!!! If the flue doesn't flow it will soot. Damp branches are soot another problem. Nah -rubbish.

Cheapest heating has got to be vaporised paraffin. A real pain to start and loads of health and safety issues but then sooo cheap. Can heat and light the kitchen with a Tilley lamp for peanuts. 10 hours for 2 litres. Stuck my fingers to the top once when I had the urge to clean the glass and hold it steady. Took a month to heal.
A big problem with paraffin is that unless you have a catalyzer your liable to end up with bad chest infections because of breathing particles of soot from the combustion  as well as the gasses resulting from combustion.

Chris I doubt you would get tar probs due to the reburn of the gasses , the draw of the flue would be amazing due to the reburn principle . Our old wood burner with reburn /airwash  was easy to get glowing dark red on the doors if we so chose .
 If I were back in the Keepers Cottage I'd certainly have constructed one  but with a big fire box , big enough to take a standard bale of hay of straw for I had 18 acres of all grass & weeds that could have been baled for fuel , plus six or seven acres of brambles and scrub to shred up .

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:06:17 pm by Plantoid »

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:48 pm »
I followed this through  the site and found lots of info that may help some of you find explainations to your arguments/ doubts.
http://www.permies.com/t/20254/stoves/Rocket-Mass-Heater-Fact-Fiction

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:09:57 am »
this is a 12 kw stove gets the shed warm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS