Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Baking day  (Read 6356 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Baking day
« on: December 11, 2012, 06:28:09 pm »
Didnt feel like doing anything too physical today as we had a busy time yesterday and I had to get up early for my friend who was coming round to do our hair. Decided instead to make some bread and some rolls. Once they were done, OH asked for some Chelsea Buns, so I did a different version, instead of dried fruit, I put apple sultanas brown sugar and cinnamon. When I took the brioche mix out of the breadmaker, there was rather a lot so I cut a piece off, mixed sultanas, chopped almonds and glacé cherries in it, then I made it into a plait. It looks like they both came out of the oven okay but the proof will be in the eating. Im going to freeze most of them as soon as they are cool as they can go dry if left after a day or two. Next, Im going to make my mince pies and I'd like to try some deep fill ones without them sticking to the bun tin!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Baking day
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:51:05 pm »
I've got a baking list that I hope to get done before Christmas:
bread (white and granary)
Bagels
Dundee Cake
Stollen
Florentines
Brownies

Fingers crossed I'll get most done this weekend  :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:26:52 pm »
Had a day last week, made mince pies, spotty pig pies, carrot cake, chocolate orange torte and then some main meals to ease the cooking over xmas, so freezer is full and i feel pretty good :thumbsup:
mandy :pig:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:09:33 pm »
FF what are spotty pig pies?  I'm intrigued.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »
 :roflanim:  I thought you were swearing when you put FF....I too wondered what they were too...and I maybe need to start baking...all I have are loads of little cakes and some scones!! TONS of soup and stock though!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:01 am »
FF what are spotty pig pies?  I'm intrigued.
They're little pies made with Gloucestershire old spot pig sausages
recipe:- http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=15648.0
 :yum:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:37:35 pm »
I made my version of piggy pies this afternoon, with sausage meat, thin lardons (smoked bacon bits)onion and apple. Even though OH is off his food at the moment, he managed to eat 3 so I assume that they taste okay!!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »
mary they sound  :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »
Thanks, FF, they sound great.  Now, where do I get GOS sausages?

Mary if your OH can eat three when he's off his food, how many could he eat if he was hungry? 

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 05:24:02 pm »
Thanks, FF, they sound great.  Now, where do I get GOS sausages?

Mary if your OH can eat three when he's off his food, how many could he eat if he was hungry?
They were only small MGM, bun tin sized, though had he been well he would have had about 5!!! He's always had a very good appetite, thats why I get worried when he is off his food. He couldnt even drink coffee today, as he had a very bad night last night, coughing. He really needs to be in hospital, but he wont go in until after Christmas as per the last few years. At least he has oxygen at home, so he's quite comfortable once he's in his chair infront of the telly!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:23:28 pm »
Why are some men so stubborn about their health?  They seem to fall into two camps.  The 'I sneezed.  It must be pneumonia' and the 'Just because my leg's hanging off doesn't mean to say I need a doctor'.  My OH is in the second camp like yours, Mary.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 01:33:26 pm »
Mandy..Ive just got to say a big thankyou for idea of the piggy pies as I call them. They are just so darned tasty with the rich butter pastry and the sausage meat with all the added bits. Ive still got a few left in the freezer, they do freeze so well, but I cant wait to make more. I even think that they will be lovely with french sausage meat which in the main, is just seasoned minced pork with no fillers. Its expensive but you dont need much for each pie if you add other ingredients do you?

Maryx

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 10:26:10 am »
Glad to help Mary and you enjoyed your pies, the recipe is a fairly old one from a 1997 Good Food magazine which i renamed to suit my breed of piggies. I'm all for experimenting with them. :yum:  and as i got 80kg worth of sausages back from the butchers at the weekend guess we're gonna be haing quite a few!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 01:39:28 pm »
I am in the process of making some at the moment. As they sausages have been previously frozen I will cook the pies first and then maybe freeze some.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS