Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lemon & Lavender Barley water  (Read 4262 times)

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
Lemon & Lavender Barley water
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:39:50 pm »
Hi,

I make all my own cordials and have done for some time. They are much better than shop bought and you know exactly what's in it. For those concerned about sugar I have reduced the usual 500g to 500 ml water & juice down to 300g and I also use honey and Agave syrup (which is good for diabetics).  :yum:

I get 30 servings (or there abouts) from every 1litre I make, at 45 calories per undiluted measure.

I have recently been adding my lavender sugar to my lemon barley water recipe and to say it's delicious is an understatement.

It doesn't take that long to make and Kilner bottles are cheap to buy and last pretty much forever so if you've not made cordials before then give it a try.

:stir:.........runs off to juice more fruit!

:wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Lemon & Lavender Barley water
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:34 pm »
Can you give us the recipe for Lemon and Lavender Barley Water, please?

I'd love to make our drinks this year - the shop bought ones are either full of rubbish, or really expensive for good ones. We've made elderflower before and blackcurrant but it would be good to extend our repetoire  :thumbsup:

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:34:52 pm »
Hi Rosemary,

Here you go.

The long preparation bit first ! I make my lavender sugar early on in the year just as the lavender flowers are opening. I pick a few bunches, dry them in the attic for up to 2 weeks then put them in 2 big Kilner jars and fill half way with raw unrefined sugar. You can use caster, granulated or demerara too. I turn the jars or shake them up a bit every other day for 4 weeks until all the sugar is infused then I simply top up with more fresh sugar every time I take some out.(makes awesome syrup for pancakes!)

So, to the barley water

This makes just over a litre so easy to adjust for more.

300g lavender sugar
Juice of 4-5 lemons (but if you want to peel them first then you can use the zest for lemon cordial)
1.5 litre of water
300 g pearl barley

water and pearl barley in a pan, bring to boil, cover and simmer for about 40 mins. Turn off.
In a large heat proof jug or another saucepan add the sugar and lemon juice. Strain/sieve pearl barley cooking water straight over the top of the juice and sugar, stir well until sugar dissolved. Bottle and put in fridge, easily lasts a week.

For straight lemon cordial

5-6 lemon zest and juice
300-400g caster sugar dependent on taste
500 ml water

All in a pan, heat while stirring, light boil, simmer for 10 minutes and bottle up.

The golden rule is usually 500ml water to 500 g sugar to 500 ml fruit juice (but we like it sharp so reduce the sugar to 300g!)
You can also replace sugar with honey or Agave syrup.

happy juicing

:o)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »
This sounds lovely. I've never made cordial before. I take it the bottle need sterilised? How long does it keep?

Could be trying it this weekend  :yum:
Thanks

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:32:57 pm »
This sounds lovely. I've never made cordial before. I take it the bottle need sterilised? How long does it keep?

Could be trying it this weekend  :yum:
Thanks

Hi Mammyshaz,

easy to sterilize a bottle, wash in hot water and pop in oven with door open for 5-10 mins. I just wash it out and swill with boiling water and then the hot cordial goes straight in.
It keeps on the side in the kitchen for a bout a week, nearly 2weeks in the fridge ........not that you'\ll have any left by then :excited:

Once you get into the habit of it (like recycling)......it just simply becomes one of those things you do, good luck

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:00 pm »
Thanks for the answers, that's my weekend top job now  :yum:
 :sunshine:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:36:27 pm »
Presumably it could go in empty milk cartons and be frozen too?

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:53 pm »
Urmm Rosemary.......
Why would you want to freeze a cordial?   
I guess you could but I couldnt say if it would effect the taste & quality once defrosted. Let me know though as Id be interested to know how it goes.
 :wave: :fc:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:47 am »

Because I'm not likely to have a weekly make session - more likely to be a monster session a couple of times a year. The blackcurrant freezes fine  ;D

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:21:09 am »

Because I'm not likely to have a weekly make session - more likely to be a monster session a couple of times a year. The blackcurrant freezes fine  ;D

:roflanim: oh Rosemary!

I love your use of 'weekly session'........you make it sound like going to the gym!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS