Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: living on land  (Read 4709 times)

clairelindy

• Joined Dec 2012
living on land
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:43:40 pm »
hi me and my boyfriend want to buy some land to live on we dont want to build a house just live in a static carvan(the new versions) we want to try and live off the land what are the rules on living on accommation land? thanks

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: living on land
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:45:04 am »
As far as I am aware Clairelindy, you can only live on land that is designated as a dwelling site and has planning permission for a dwelling with permission for a residential caravan whilst building work is completed. Or has permission for a permanent static caravan.

There is loads of land available to work, but extremely difficult to be allowed to live on it.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:52:41 am »
If you could cope without the buying bit then there are some exemptions for caravans where they house an agricultural worker on a farm, so if you were willing to work part time for a farmer you might find one willing to have the static and you, or some farms already have a static in place.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:32:25 pm »
There's a book called "Field to Farm" which covers this. I haven't read it and I can't rememebr the author's name but I'm sure you'll be able to find it - it is often quoted as the reference work to read if you want to do what you want to do.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:37:36 pm »
Just looked it up - there's a website, too. Very interesting.

www.fieldtofarm.com

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:39:19 pm »
I'm afraid if it was just as simple as buying a bit of land and putting a caravan on it - there would be no countryside left, as everybody from suburbia would have done it by now.

You either need to find somewhere totally off the radar with willing neighbours (the countryside may be sparse but you can see a car coming and going within ** miles if the land lays right) or be prepared to run the land as a viable business that needs a dwelling near to attend to it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS