Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Static Caravan  (Read 10735 times)

cwmearl

• Joined Aug 2012
Static Caravan
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »
The previous owners of our smallholding had a static caravan on a field which they left with the house, we are currently weighing up our options of what to do with it, someone has lived in it, but they mainly used it for storage, we think we'll probably get rid of it, anyone got ideas of the best way to do this? Thanks

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Static Caravan
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:47:16 pm »
Sell it? Offer on freecycle? Buyer/taker uplifts - saves you that problem...

Or use for livestock housing/feed storage/visitors' quarters...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:47 pm »
Might be worth some £ as scrap too...

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »
Where are you & your caravan.?
Can you post pics.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:14:04 am »
If you dispose might you lose the right to replace it?  It could be wanted in the future maybe.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:08 am »
Depending on where you are, I would have thought someone would want to buy it.  Or, yes, freecycle "Buyer collects" - but get a quote from your scrap merchant first, or you could just end up filling someone else's pockets.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:31:22 pm »
We've just demolished one  - took about 4 man days to rip appart - salvage/burnt wood, took nasty stuff to tip and weighed in the alu - weond useful life  got about £200 scrap.  Ours was beyond useful life so worth effort - but I'd ebay if still sound.  I think youd be able to give away for scrap but not sell for much (given effort required to dismantle).  I have heard it suggested that setting fire to it is easiest way (just left with copper and alu then, but Im sure I read somewhere recently that someone got fined £7K (I think) - not worth the risk!

cwmearl

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 09:32:10 pm »
Thanks for all the info, we had thought about dismantling it but I didn't realise it might take so long, I'll have a good look at the condition of it, don't think I'll be doing much soon though, with the wet weather it's unlikely someone would be able to get on the ground to cart it away.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 09:38:28 pm »
A large chicken house? We've just converted a mobile office into one. You can move it around to fresh ground, lots of light and space inside. Just a thought! :)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:34:08 pm »
They are good for a bagged feed store if it is dry .
I cut the end out of mine mad e a decent 2 x 2 frame that had tow x 2 foot wide light framed thin  skinned doors first and fixed it in about two feet back then used a sabre saw to cut the end wall out ..
I covered the whole floor in cheap 19 mm construction ply to give it a bit more strength . after taking out the internal walls and cabinets . adding a new brace up the wwalls and across the roof internally top help keep the integrity of the frame .
The doors were a simple braced frame made from new roofing batons and then had a sheet of all weather marine ply glued & nailed over them after adding a set of internal blocks to take the handles and locking plates .  The doors frames were skinned both sides and this made a very strong hollow light weight set of doors that I could take a standard pallet of bags in on a pallet trolley or in my double wheeled muck barrow if they were 50 kg or so heavy feed sacks of corn
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS