Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep attacking the dog..  (Read 7769 times)

cleopatra

Re: Sheep attacking the dog..
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 11:00:13 am »
i had a pony that tried to trample my labrador puppy once, was stamping on him like a it would snake, poor thing. a bit of fear of a sheep wont do it any harm, better than trying to stop him chasing them.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »
Our last cockrel used to have fights with the boss sheep it was soooo funny.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 05:26:18 pm »
Goats and pup have been sniffing noses through fence, won't be letting them mingle especially with vanna's horns! sheep seem to be getting used to the pup, phew. Even the cat is venturing nearer. At one point last week i felt close to tears at what I had gone and done! Starting to really feel relieved now though.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

cleopatra

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »
it took years to stop my dog from chasing my sheep, none of them do now but then they are getting on a bit. what breed is your pup?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »
\He's believed to be terrier X samoyed but here's his pic - I have my own theories as to what the dad might have been! (there was a 'who's the father' debate when the litter were born and my friend opted for her samoyed as being dad but....)

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

cleopatra

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 06:43:06 pm »
hes just gorgeous.
i couldnt imagine what that cross would look like as an adult.
i remember taking our old dog to puppy classes 10 yrs ago when my boy was a toddler. there was an absolutely gorgeous samoyed pup there called blizzard. he was quite boisterous but my son was completely terrified of it. he was convinced it was a bear. funny now but embarrassing at the time!
 :roflanim:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:10 pm »
haha! I can imagine that though, they do look like bears! there are japanese akitas where my friend lives and they look like bears too I think!

I still have an inkling that Murphy's dad is a farm collie, not samoyed though  ;)

cleopatra

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 07:44:39 pm »
what type of colour and terrier is the mum?
i thought it was a collie cross at first glimpse, does look quite fluffy tho. big paws too.
 :thumbsup:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »
Our lot have known nothing but the dogs being part of the flock , When they where lambs this was great because if you wanted them to go somewhere they followed the dogs and actualy played with the wolfhound puppy.
Now its a pain because they now get quite rough with the dogs they show no fear of any dog
Even though the wolfhound is now 7 months old and much bigger than them she is starting to get a bit afraid of them because they wont leave her alone from the minute she goes through the gate untill she goes back out of the field they are crowding around her and the wethers try mounting her  :o
Graham

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 07:25:19 am »
Mum was a ginger type norfolk terrier. Murphy has a gingery under coat.

Sokel, I think we might hav ea similar situation. Ours are bottled raised so have no fear of humans

cleopatra

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 09:53:00 am »
Mum was a ginger type norfolk terrier. Murphy has a gingery under coat.

Sokel, I think we might hav ea similar situation. Ours are bottled raised so have no fear of humans

so could be a collie dad with those markings maybe. your daughter looks v proud of her pup.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 10:11:41 am »
She is indeed! In fact, Scarlett in the picture was terrified of even the tiniest dogs until Murphy arrived so was a bit of a gamble but paid off in that she loves him and now they are inseperable. All 4 daughters are loving him as are the grown ups  :love:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 10:32:47 am »
One of my ewes floored my landladies (big) golden retriever with one butt.   :roflanim:  I couldn't stop laughing.
He won't even go in the field with the sheep now ... oops!
Exactly what I would want though, it's all very well the sheep being used to your own dog, but I would want my sheep to protect themselves (and their lambs) from other peoples dogs.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 10:50:54 am »
One of my ewes floored my landladies (big) golden retriever with one butt.   :roflanim:  I couldn't stop laughing.
He won't even go in the field with the sheep now ... oops!
Exactly what I would want though, it's all very well the sheep being used to your own dog, but I would want my sheep to protect themselves (and their lambs) from other peoples dogs.

I felt the same. was quite relieved to see that Nimble (the sheepy bouncer) could protect herself and any lambs, or at least had the nerve to try.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 12:32:49 pm »
Pups do generally learn quite quickly what to avoid - unless they are cattle dogs when they just come back for more  ::) .  My cattle dogs have a very strong herding instinct and can't help themselves nipping the horses' heels behind my back.  One was double barrelled 30 ft across a yard, another kicked square on her forehead which caused her concussion for days  :o :o .  Did it stop them?  No .....  ::) 

My little Jack Russell was trodden on accidentally by a horse, luckily it just got his paw but he learned to be very wary after that!  Another dog, a Lancashire Heeler, was stamped purposefully into the ground - again luckily for him he went into mud and got way with any serious injury  :P

They've all learned to be wary of the horses except the herding dogs who just learned to more nimble with their avoidance tactics after nipping!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS