Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: walker complains about my sheep on footpath thru my field..can i get in trouble  (Read 10397 times)

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
No, Helen. That's because you're a sensible human being! There are a lot of litigious idiots out there. unfortunately.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
But we won't scare Lizzy by suggesting that it's likely that he'll complain - for all the reasons already given, that he'd need time, money and the desire to look very silly  ::)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
they didn't even run up to him as don't know him.they actually scattered and ran away from him in anarea about 20 foot wide as footpath runs past our buildings, so not even a narrow area...other walkers keep stopping to say how nice they are and how good it is to see animals back on the land

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Good, nice to hear there are some sane folk out there too  :thumbsup:

He probably just got out of bed the wrong side that morning  ::)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
He is about as crazy as someone who consulted me in my former occupation because their neighbour had threatened to call the police because a horse was eating their hedge.  The effort of trying to keep a straight face while explaining horses were not criminally liable for their actions was almost too much and dare I say I was more interested in ensuring that the hedge wasn't privet.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
The effort of trying to keep a straight face while explaining horses were not criminally liable for their actions was almost too much
  :D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
D'you think the sign should also warn of the presence of Peter Rabbit and Mrs Tiggywinkle?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
My friend had a visit from the Police because her three pet hens had gone and stood on a neighbours lawn :)   She was warned to keep them under control apparantly.
Some walkers seem to think no livestock should be in a field.  The lady I work for has a path over her fields, and people complain constantly if she has her ponies in there, as they have to walk their dogs through mud!!  She was resting the field, and a dog walker came and thanked her for keeping her  animals off the field so that he could walk his dog there.  She was so gobsmacked she could not think of anything to say.  Perhaps it should have been thank you?!!

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
We have a GFD tup that you would want to steer clear of all year round, would have you on your back without a second thought. Even when you are aware of him you have to be very careful.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
Let him complain and waste his time and money, Id just be keeping an eye out for him next time so I could give him a good hose piping down, failing that yep 2x2
Sheep

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
We have a footpath through one of our fields and some very friendly sheep and goats, but we decided to fence off the footpath so that the livestock are separate from them and any uncontrolled dogs.  If they loose their hat or buttons though to the goats, from stopping to pet them, then I won't be help responsible!

One point, joking aside - you have to think carefully about signs you put up (sadly).  For our pigs, we have a sign that says 'Pigs have teeth - please take care'.  It doens't say 'Don't put your hands through the fence as there may be other ways of reaching the pigs we haven't thought of in advance (like them tunnelling their way out!) which would then not be covered.
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Kentishsteve

• Joined Sep 2012
I thought the point of a right of way through a field was to give the walker a right of way not a right to complain about what's on the land his beak shouldn't be concerned with anything apart from getting from one side to the other !!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
We've had tourist come to the farm and say we should stop our sheep fouling on the footpath ;)

Ya just pick it up rub it in your hands and say 'nothing wrong with this s**t'

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook

I know its all fun and games but I had a walker who's jack russels (on extendable leads) didn't like my pet sheep/freindly sheep and attacked my pet lamb luckily I was there and no major damage but a wee sign at either end of the field my be enough, 'Freindly sheep may approach you!' Should ease some of the morons worries. It at least shows the sheeps intent.  :thumbsup:Or the Killer sheep sign that's brilliant it should scare off the kind of people you don't want on you foot path!  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS