Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: walker complains about my sheep on footpath thru my field..can i get in trouble  (Read 10396 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
as above.our 3 sheep were grazing the bit where foothpath runs across my fields today whilst friend was there..they ran up to a walker , didnt do anything, they just tame and like a scratch...he then complained to my friend and said'' keep your sheep under control''....
its a footpath thru grazing fields...can i get in trouble if he complains to council etc..
funny thing was apparently he then followed the path thru the ponies field and they all run up to him too....and the next door neighbours field he then had to go thru has hundreds of sheep in it...so he will prob complain.......
theres signs up saying keep dogs onleads,livestock loose in fields etc...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Ummm no!!! Ridiculous cretin !! The only issue could be the horses mugging walkers and then squabbling if people feed them treats and starting to kick out which could hurt someone (even if its walkers feeding titbits that caused the issue) . Sheep - no! Does he think they will smother him with a pullover from their wool or burst his eardrums by bleating? Mad.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
the ponies are fairly good and path runs across bottom of field so mostly they stay up top and don't venture down to see walkers..i am going to fence the path in along bottom of horses field when i can afford to as  i dont want them feeding the ponies if they decide to anyway....the sheep go into the fenced off 12 foot wide area that the path runs thru before you get into the ponies field, to keep the grass tidy in there...thats main reason we got 3 sheep....i think he need to walk in towns only if he hates animals...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
I love that 'keep your sheep under control!' ;D What an idiot!

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
I feel for him, sheep can be absolutely terrifying. I've heard tales of whole council estates that are being terrorised by gangs of vicious sheep. They're baaaaaad news, I'm telling you.

deepinthewoods

what a muppet, i swear half of all small holders problems are sorted with either a shotgun or a piece of 2x2.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
I would sound a note of caution here - sheep can and do push over adults and children if they are used to being hand/bucket fed and "demand" their treats. Especially at this time of year when they are fed regularly....
And having seen one of your photos in the previous post - of one of the sheep reaching up on his/her hindlegs to get some food - I can imagine that someone not used to then can be a bit scared. Not saying that s/he may have a case, just warning you that a determined lawyer could just cause you some trouble!
However a note on the entrance to warn of overfriendly sheeep may be all that's needed...
IMO footpaths through livestock fields are always a source of bother for the owner....

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
Hi Lizzypeg, following up on what Anke says you should be OK legally but it is not entirely clear cut.

The Animals Act 1971 makes you liable for injury or damage caused by your animals where three conditions are met:
1.The damage is of a type which the animal would be likely to do if it was unrestrained;
2.The damage was due to characteristics which were not normally found in that type of animal, or which were found in that type of animal only at specific times and in specific circumstances;
3.The special characteristics were known to the owner.

So if you kept a ram that was known to be dangerous at tupping time in the field you would be liable. It seems unlikely, however, given the examples given on some of the local authority sites, that keeping a few ewes that are just overfriendly at feeding time would count.

You might be guilty of an offence, however, it it were deemed that the sheep cause unreasonable interference with the use of a right of way. This would constitute a nuisance under common law. In the first instance the local authorities would serve an abatement notice on you and failure to comply with the notice results in an offence being committed and you could then be fined.

Hope this helps!

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales

i've got a complaint...... i almost choked on my breakfast laughing so much.... :roflanim: :roflanim: DITW has the right idea
Don't worry Lizzypeg, you won't be doing time for this one.... :relief:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Put up some electric fencing to keep the idiot away from your sheep.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Honestly, can you imagine what a fool he would look like if he ever tried to make a proper complaint  :roflanim: If it happens (it won't) let us know and we'll all come, wearing woolly jumpers, and point at him and laugh.

For goodness sake!  An aggressive tup, that ran at people on purpose, might be one thing but 3 curious ewes! :roflanim: Poor baby, how terrifying  ::)

I know this next bit is not the law, but it ought to be. These people are not using the footpaths for the reasons for which they were made, ie for villagers to get about to work, chapel etc. They therefore don't have to use specific footpaths, they could perfectly easily walk elsewhere if there are scary sheep in a field  ::)

Seriously Lizzie, he'd have to have a lot of spare money and time to even think about pursuing such a pointless case. It's therefore highly unlikely to happen. But if he's rude or a nuisance, talk to the NFU for advice.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Honestly, can you imagine what a fool he would look like if he ever tried to make a proper complaint  :roflanim: If it happens (it won't) let us know and we'll all come, wearing woolly jumpers, and point at him and laugh.
Love it!  :thumbsup: :roflanim:

On a more serious note, there has to be something tangible to complain about - for instance, if an over-enthusiastic ewe knocked him, or someone with him, over and they sustained an injury.  In that situation, I regret to say I think he would have a case - but I do love the public humiliation idea should it happen!   :roflanim:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
OMG  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
You need a warning sign, always a bl**dy warning sign

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
I've walked through fields where sheep have been curious and i can sY, I have NEVER thought that it shouldn't happen and I could complain!

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS