Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Face Cream  (Read 8237 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Face Cream
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:34 pm »
OK ladies, do you fall for all the TV adds that say face creams will make you look younger, get rid of wrinkles etc. Never in my life have I bought an expensive cream. For years just using Johnsons baby lotion. Now its Nivea ( sorry if its spelt wrong.) Friends tell me I look young for my 61 years but I always say I am lucky to have my mothers genes. She is 81 and looks at least 10 younger. One of my friends spends hundreds of pounds every year on different creams but to me she sunbathes far too much something I cannot be bothered with and this is why her skin looks older. Are we so vain that we can be talked into buying anything if we think it will make us younger or are you happy enough just to grow old the way natured intended. For the past few years the market as gone after men as well. all this pressure to turn back time.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Face Cream
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:01:17 pm »
My Irish nan couldnt' go into the sun without burning so she had very little exposure and as a result (I believe) aged amazingly well. Her skin was wrinkle free when she died at 84.
I don't use any creams at all but I do use goats milk soap (no, not advertising honest! just being truthful) and I find its all I need for moisturiser/cleanser all in one.
I think some of it is genetic though.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 05:05:47 pm »
More interesting is the near total invisibility of 'ordinary' women once they get beyond the age they're interesting to men. I don't mean the likes of Helen Mirren, but Josephine Bloggs.

This, I think, is the reason they can make us feel insecure. If we felt that we were attractive and desirable still, even with the extra pounds and wrinkles that age brings, then we couldn't be panicked into buying creams and diets.

As it is, it's all too easy to feel that we won't do as we are. And sadly, since some of us have direct experience of having been traded in for a younger model, the message 'keep young and beatuiful if you want to be loved' has some teeth  :-\

I have to say i've stopped reading women's magazines since it dawned on me that their total reason for existence was to make me feel that I needed to buy something in order to match up, one way or another.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »
Ive never used expensive creams on my face, the poshest I get is when my daughter sends me an Olay set od day and night cream which I remember to use about twice a month, maybe more in winter when my skin gets a bit dry.
I do believe though, that good skin is inherited. I know of many women who have way more wrinkles than I do, usually they are thin aswell...another good reason not to lose too much weight!! I have noticed a few lines around my eyes lately to go along with the grey hair roots! I dyed my hair this afternoon, treating myself to a colour by L'Oreal....because Im worth it!!!!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:14:36 pm »
And you are worth it NM - I did get tans as a youth being in the great outdoors but I'm a great believer in the more make up you wear throughout your life tires your skin - I've never worked in an environment to wear make up and the most I do is a bit of lippy and masscara - good job as I couldn't afford anything more - don't think I'm doing too bad - my image would be better if I got out of my baggy waterproofs and 3 fleeces!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »
I dyed my hair this afternoon, treating myself to a colour by L'Oreal....because Im worth it!!!!!
Hmmm, well remember they still test on animals.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:49:46 pm »
I dyed my hair this afternoon, treating myself to a colour by L'Oreal....because Im worth it!!!!!

saw the FB posts about that yesterday, was very horrible. Hadn't realised that L'Oreal still did that. Won't buy their stuff again.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »
I think genetics and how we live our life, if you work outside most of the time a good sunscreen should help, main factor with wrinkles are smoking and sun.......no amount of expensive or inexpensive creams help much, prevention is the only way, especially with sun damage.
I used to be amazed when working with people with learning disabilities, how clear their skin was, I think its also lack of stress, and like I said no smoking or sun exposure.
There are products that help, I do use some moisture cream as my skin can get dry, not sure if it makes too much difference, my daughter should throw some light on this subject as shes a cosmetic scientist and consultant......anyway...if you are loaded you can get them lifted off your face and you end up with eyebrows stuck to your hair line!!! :roflanim:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »
It's either your bum or your face basically.  I can't understand why anyone would want to be skinny and saggy.   Eat to look young, that's my motto.

Having said all this, when the wind has gotten the better of you and things start to get a bit rough and dry, a good bit of moisturiser is a godsend. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:29:27 pm »
My gran had beautiful skin until she died at age 81. My mum had awful skin but she smoked and I think that made it worse. Mine's OK for 50 (IMHO  ;D ). I don't wear make-up, although I did when I had an office job, and I use Nivea Soft, which I really like. I wash with whatever soap Dan brings home from business trips  ::)

I'm working to lose 10kg - not to make me look younger but for my health. Lugging 10kg more than you need to ain't good for you.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:22:37 pm »

saw the FB posts about that yesterday, was very horrible. Hadn't realised that L'Oreal still did that. Won't buy their stuff again.
Oh bugger!! I cant wash it out now, but Ill not use it again. I cant believe they still do such barbaric things!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:35 pm »
My Mum and gran used Astral which is still mega cheap (about 2 quid I think) and at 75 my mum still ahs amazing skin.  I forget most days, but use Aveeno when I remeber which was recommended when son had a bit of toddler exzema  - it's like a a drink of water.  its £7 a pop though so might switch to Astral now im icash poor and heading towards 50!!!!  I do sometimes make my own but I dont like it as much as Aveeno.  I'm with JayKAy, I dont read womens mags at all (I am surprised if I look though my sisters glossies how much advertising), but do like the feeling of rubbing cream in and feeling I am nurturing my protective outer (like oiling a saddle!!).  I do try to remeber to use sunscreen in summer.... but mostly forget.  Big Hat, thats my answer.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:48 pm »
I did dye my hair a few times until a friend got cancer on her scalp, she was forever changing her hair colour.Morning TV is full of  the little black dress diet to get ready for Christmas parties. Feel this is a bit unfair on all the people who are worried about feeding their kids never mind going to parties. I am no longer the thin trim person I was but for my age I look OK. they say love the skin your in is so true and if you do not like yourself not only does it show in your face but the way you dress and act. I have bumps and lumps but do not hide behind baggy clothing instead I try and make myself look the best I can. I believe woman are having a harder time in childbirth due to being too thin and lack of exercise, bad diets.My 81 year old mother oftens say she would not be seen dead in some clothing as it would make her look old !!!!

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 05:56:28 pm »

Oh bugger!! I cant wash it out now, but Ill not use it again. I cant believe they still do such barbaric things!!

Oh I don't know, I've never seen a platinum blonde Guinea pig, or a red one, bet there's a market for them once they've been dyed

- goes to computer and starts writing business plan -

:-J

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »
Well, they dye the tups up here for sale... Some company must be doing that!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS