Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kitchener stitch - latest socks  (Read 17364 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Kitchener stitch - latest socks
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 11:00:06 pm »
Circular needles are great for knitting when you are doing other stuff - you can never loose one - unless you drop all your stitches at once! I remember knitting socks while herding goats in France... The number of times I lost one of the five needles, because the youngsters were getting too inquisitive... ::)

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 07:12:10 pm »
(*) If anyone has a pukka two-way cast on they can share, I would love to hear about it!  I'm sure there must be better ways than the contortions I put myself through in order to avoid any Kitchener stitching  :D

Have you tried the hexipuff cast-on?  Look it up on youtube  :)

basically you cast on the number of stitches you want onto one needle, then with two needles side by side you slip alternate stitches onto the needles. Then knit in the round as usual. I used this for some Kindle cosies and it worked like a charm!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 12:02:48 am »
That's kinda what I do, BW - I don't find it very easy to do the way I cast on, maybe I just need to try it with different cast ons. :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 02:24:03 am »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 09:26:54 am »
Jaykay, you posted this early. Couldn't you sleep?
I have never seen anything like this before. I was taught to cast on with my thumb and a long piece of wool and have never changed it. This doesn't look too difficult though and I like the fact that there is no stitching to do. Would I need a specific pattern for socks done like this?

Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 09:39:24 am »
I get it!  Looks exactly what I want - thanks jay, I'll give that a go.  (Actually I'll probably give it 24 goes but I will get it eventually!  :D)

Sally, this would work as the start for any toe-up socks.  I knit all my socks toe-up now, it's so convenient to be able to try them on as you go, stop when you run out of wool, etc.

I use the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook; it gives you the design basics for the various ways you can knit socks (toe-up, heel down, hourglass heels, afterthought heels, gusset heels, provisional cast-ons, kitchener stitch, etc etc) plus loads of stuff on patterning and use of colour that I haven't even got into yet.  It's my sock bible and I wouldn't be without it.  :)  (Thanks to Fleecewife for recommending it  :thumbsup:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 09:44:49 am »
Sally, it was so wild here last night, I woke up with the noise of the wind and then had to get up to check the state of the beck (high, but not unmanageably so).

As SITN says, you can knit any toe up sock starting like this and I also prefer doing socks this way since you can carry in til you run out of yarn. (that's the cast on I was trying to show you in Torrie's cafe, other Sally  :))

That Twisted Sisters sock book is wonderful - thanks to SITN for my copy  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 09:46:53 am »
Book ordered  :thumbsup:
thanks
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:46 pm »
I'm now tempted to order that book.   ::)   First though, I will have a go at socks like that on circular needles.  Just wondering how you deal with the heel though?

Sally, I learned to cast on the thumb method as well but originally, my mum taught me to cast on with two needles by knotting a loop onto the first needle then knitting into that but, instead of taking it off the needle, you twist it and put it on the first needle.  Does that make sense?  It does to me but I know what I'm talking about.  Someone else showed me that if you do this method but knitting into the back of the stitch, you get a firmer edge.  Now I do whichever method seems most appropriate.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 03:54:51 pm »
TATU sock Try A Toe Up sock

Free Ravelry download, in 'sport weight' wool. You can buy her sockweight pattern for about £2.85. It takes you through a toe-up sock, with an easy heel.

Or that book has several different sorts of heels  ;)

I have to say I don't like knitting socks on circulars, I prefer dpn's and just do the 'magic cast-on' as shown but on two dpn's and then as I knit the first stitches, move it onto 4 needles and go from there.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »
Thanks, Jaykay.  I've downloaded that pattern.  What is it you don't like about knitting socks on circular needles?  I've always struggled with dpns so might give it a try.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 05:16:04 pm »
I am somewhat tempted by toe-up socks - but looking at that pattern I think it would be difficult to reinforce the heel - and that is quite important to the way my socks suffer from being worn by me in boots... (With the reinforced heel they tend to last for years; without, only weeks.) Plus, if a hole develops in the toe, you can't just undo the last bit and knit new toes! But the fact that you don't have bits of wool left over all the time, or - alternatively - end up not having quite enough for the last bit is of course an advantage. I have a lot of socks with different coloured toes.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 05:31:06 pm »
You're just making a fashion statement.   ;)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »
You're just making a fashion statement.   ;)

Of course I am!  ;D Anyway, not given to wearing socks with sandals - nobody sees the toes in my boots...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 09:11:50 am »
I prefer dpns for socks, too - the appropriately-sized circular needles don't have enough length of straight for my hands to grip for the way I knit.  You can use magic loop with longer circs, but I haven't tried that as I don't have a problem with dpns.  (In fact I'm knitting my two-layer opening mitts with built-in hand-and-wrist warmers at the mo, with 8 dpns on the go, 4 on each layer!  :D  Actually, about to start the thumb, so another 4 there makes 12!!  I look like I'm making a porcupine! :D)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS