Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kitchener stitch - latest socks  (Read 17354 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Kitchener stitch - latest socks
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:09:31 am »
I just go round and round - frinstance add 4 every pin, takes 5 rows to be back where you started if there are 80 stitches around
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 05:57:32 pm »
Sally and Sally, that's how I end up in trouble, by doing a couple of extra stitches on each row and then I find I've done the whole lot.   :dunce:   I think I'll try with five needles to see if that works for me.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 06:07:44 pm »
Sally and Sally, that's how I end up in trouble, by doing a couple of extra stitches on each row and then I find I've done the whole lot.   :dunce:   I think I'll try with five needles to see if that works for me.

5 needles have the advantage that you can lay the whole thing flat - so you can actually see what's happening; and you have enough leeway to try them on while on the needles (without having to move about stitches onto different needles).

I'm wondering why I never have problems with holes in between needles - could that be that the "continental" knitting avoids them? ???

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 10:34:52 pm »
I've only knitted in the round with dpns once (pair of mittens) and had no problems with holes. I knit British style, but I do it knit quite tight.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 04:54:37 am »
I'm wondering why I never have problems with holes in between needles - could that be that the "continental" knitting avoids them? ???
Possibly.  But mainly I think it's just practise.  I tried a few inches on the most recent sock where I didn't move the needles around each row - and you couldn't tell where I'd had the break.

I have been teaching myself the continental stocking stitch - and I love it!  For runs of straight stocking stitch it's much faster - but I haven't yet got my tension quite consistent, and I think maybe I knit with a little bit more tension this way.  I do a lot of k3p1 ribbing (and I mostly do this on socks), and I don't find it quicker for that, but when it's garter stitch, or stockinette on circular pins, I think it's definitely the way to go.

I've been knitting slippers using two yarns simultaneously today and I didn't dare try the continental style for that - I think I'd be too likely to leave one of the two strands behind.  But that's just what you're used to; the slipper pattern is garter stitch with just two stitches each row that are a bit different, so if and when I get more comfortable with the continental style I'll be able to whizz through slippers in no time flat!

Sorry, none of this post is about Kitchener stitch... need a slapped wrist emotiwotsit... :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 07:55:10 am »

Sorry, none of this post is about Kitchener stitch... need a slapped wrist emotiwotsit... :innocent:

Just natural evolution of a topic!  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 08:12:00 am »
And of course now we need a pic of the slippers  ;D :knit:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »
And an explanation of continental  :knit:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 04:04:07 am »

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 08:44:33 pm »
I can't knit by hand , but worked on an industrial hand knitting machine for a few years . I have , in the shed , a sock knitting machine that i would like to use , if i can clean it up ok ?  Does anyone know anything about them ? It is a hand operated machine , about 6-8 inches in dia . Usual knitting machine type needles . Not even sure if it is all there now , but would be handy to know how to use one .
Cheers Russ 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:21 pm »
And an explanation of continental  :knit:
Pick it up here

Thanks, Sally.  I've just looked at the video and think I'm going to have to give it a go.

Russ, I've seen the sock knitting machines but have no idea how to use them.  I did have an ordinary knitting machine which was my dad's but just didn't enjoy using it.  There's something very therapeutic about hand knitting.  The other plus is that you can do other things at the same time, such as read or walk the dogs.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 12:23:41 am »
No probs Lesley , i will most likely be able to work it out ? ? ?
The home type knitting machines would last about 5 minutes with me , i used an industrial one . They are basically the same thing but it takes 2 blokes to move one ! Very heavy duty and take a huge amount of abuse .
On one of those i could knit a jumper in about 30 minutes if i took my time .
 When working though , you do say 15 backs then 15 fronts then 30 sleeves then 15 collars . They then go to the steam press , get steamed to even out size etc and then go to the overlocker to get put together .
You may be able to do other things while you knit Lesley , but i am a bloke , can barely manage one thing at a time , and if someone interupts and speaks " eh ? What ? , oh bugger !" complete meltdown .
Hey ho , way to go , eh ? What ? Lol .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 10:25:51 pm »
Sorry, Russ, I forgot that men can't multi-task.  When we had the craft workshop in Arran, we were always so busy in the summer that I would always take some knitting or crochet with me when evening dog walking (didn't have dogs on leads).  Wool in the right pocket for knitting and left for crochet.  I could make most of a hat while walking and just had to do the decreasing indoors where I had lighting.  One thing I did discover was that it's not a good idea to do cable whilst walking.  The cable needle is liable to slip out of the work and, when you live in an area where sheep and deer wander at will, you do not want to be groping round on the ground in the dark, trying to find the cable needle.   :roflanim:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 06:57:19 am »
  One thing I did discover was that it's not a good idea to do cable whilst walking.  The cable needle is liable to slip out of the work and, when you live in an area where sheep and deer wander at will, you do not want to be groping round on the ground in the dark, trying to find the cable needle.   :roflanim:
MGM you paint a vivid picture  :roflanim: :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 10:52:53 pm »
I have vivid memories of trying to find cable needles in the dark.   :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS