Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis  (Read 8688 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Mastitis
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:59:23 am »
Ok, I knew I was tempting fate by saying that I didn't teat dip and hadn't ever had mastitis.

This morning Rowan has got it  :-[

Her quarter is a bit hotter than the other one I think, but not hard, and she let me milk her though she wasn't overly happy about it. The milk is very bitty but it isn't discoloured and there's no blood or smell.

I've given her the sheep dose of Tetroxy long acting, intramuscularly, since that's what I had.

I'll ring the vet when they open, but what else can I do for her. Apart from teat dip, which I have done, with a Capriclense solution.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Mastitis
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:34:05 am »
Oh dear,
my vet gave an anti-inflammatary inj as well.
Would a warm/cool cloth held onto the area help soothe it, hopefully if it's not lumpy you've caught it early before it develops too badly and will clear quickly too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 10:50:06 am »
Oh no, I'm sorry jaykay  :-*

If it's like cattle and sheep, then the more you can strip it out - right out - the better a chance of full recovery you'll have.  Twice a day, at least, three or even four times if you can.

Keep it clean, of course - antiseptic after stripping, as you are doing.  Vet may give you a/bs that you squirt up into the teat - of course you do this after stripping, and it's important to clean the end of the teat so you don't push nasties back into the teat with the nozzle of the a/b cream.

You'll have caught it really early, so  :fc: she'll come right.

Thinking of you both and sending positive vibes  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:55:22 am »
Haven't experienced it in goats Jaykay but have experienced it personally with our first child (sorry don't mean to be silly) and the advice then was to do as Sally says and keep stripping it out and also to keep something warm there like a hot water bottle (if poss) eases the discomfort.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 11:18:02 am »
I presume it's the same in goats as cows...... Strip it out twice a day and get some penicillin tubes from the vet to squirt in twice a day after its stripped out, she'll be good in a day or two  :hug:
You'll probably have to dump the milk while she's being treated and for a day or two after, vet will advise anyway.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:26:14 am »
Antibiotics aren't always necessary, if you catch it early enough. We used to (on a commercial dairy farm!) strip out every few hours, even during the night, and massage the quarter. If it didn't clear up within a day or so, we used the stuff to squirt into the teat.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »
The vet has given me the squirty tubes and I've come home at lunchtime to strip her out and tube her. Apparently the Tetroxy is the right systemic ab to have given her, so that's one thing right.

It's stopped raining so she's taken herself up the ghyll grazing with Ellie, so it will depend whether or not she comes in when called - what's the betting she susses something is up!

Pleeaaaase let her be OK  :fc:  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 12:55:59 pm »
 :-* :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 01:35:04 pm »
First strip-out and infusion done. Next one at 6-7pm, then midnight, then 6am when I'd normally milk her.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:44 pm »
I have never actually used the squirty tubes, only a/b, daily for 5 days. twice a day milking out, and I also gave my girl some vitamin C powder and increased doses of Caprivite. If she hasn't got a temperature and you can empty the udder out, it is probably only subclinical. Hopefully she will be ok in a few days.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 05:14:23 pm »
She's eating neat Caprivite and is still eating generally, though seems a bit sad. That might be because her 'friend' has turned on her and stuck needles into her. Poor love.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 05:17:43 pm »
I don't know about goats, as you know, but with cattle or sheep, the fact that she's running around up the ghyll, eating, and not just lying about moping, would be a very positive sign.

:fc: you caught it quickly enough for it not to cause lasting damage.  She couldn't be in better hands, that's for sure!  (Even though she may not feel that way right now... :-J)

You are both in my thoughts  :-* :hug:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 06:38:44 pm »
Good to hear Jaykay, it's always such a stress, especially as you are at work and not able to keep an eye on her all day, sure she'll get her own back with the sharp bits though  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 07:32:50 pm »
Just done the next one. Not too much heat there now and no hardness. Her poor quarter sounds squelchy though, with the antibiotic stuff in  :P She is still eating, which is always a bonus with Rowan!  :fc: :fc: :fc:
Thanks for all the good wishes  :thumbsup:

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »
Hope all gets better soon..... Hope I didn't jinx you  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS