Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Halal  (Read 5057 times)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Halal
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:41:39 pm »
Has this subject been covered on this web site ? The other thread on Sheep that were butchered in a field seems to have deviated on to Halal. (Which I do not believe are the perpetrators of that heanious crime? ).
So have started a new thread. There must be many views.

:-J
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Halal
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:09:55 pm »
Personally I think it's hideous and should not be allowed in this country, nor should we export live to countries where stock will die a halal death.  I believe that the majority of the country are eating it  unknowingly, the supermarkets don't publicise it do they?  Our country too PC, we have to tolerate these barbaric beliefs and behaviour. Halal slaughter, and outdoor cremations of dead humans, all round us, makes me sick.
Rant over..
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:02:58 pm »
I shall keep quite on this subject . If i pass comment i will be banned . ZZZZiiiiiip !

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:09:30 pm »
lots of bad stuff happens because of religion. mostly to humans. ;) 

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:12:43 pm »
outdoor cremations of dead humans, all round us, makes me sick.

What?  Where?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:40 pm »
Many many people in this country are eating meat that was slaughtered the halal way without realising it. Many abatoirs that supply supermarket meat use halal slaughter practices as some of their meat is actually sold as halal but all of it is slaughtered that way.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 05:39:59 am »
My first introduction to Halal was in 1991 whilst holidaying in Tunisia. There was one main road in Tunisia running north to south eventually to Libiya. It was not unusual to see a beast, like a cow, hung up by its hind legs from a tree. Along the journey, 'north to south', the said beasts hanging from trees would be at various stages of dissmemberment, probably exactly  the same as what goes on in any slaughter house ? Except it was, and probably still is, done at the side of the road. Never saw anybody stunning the said beast. It probably needed knocking out, like its life hammered out of it first before the rope went around its' legs and it was hoisted up.
So when the word 'Halal' is mentioned, this is the instant though anchored into my mind.
During my day job I look after a fleet of lorries. The lorry park is next door to another compound which slaughters and transports chicken. Owned and run by asians so will be I suppose halal ? Nowt wrong there, no issues, except this ;-
We are told that halal is a religious practice . So is there some religious bloke reading extracts from a quoran on every throat that is slit ? Must be a busy chap.
Support your local butcher. I do, use a couple of these chaps. Many around here were forced to close because their buildings were sub-standard, did not have the correct brass knobs on the doors. It would have meant buying EEC approved brass knobs which would have meant a bank loan and the business would not stand it. I suppose our farm bottled milk went the same way, but I still buy it from the milk man that gets it from the farm. Not milk with galactic motorway miles.

:knit:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:29:27 am »
Halal is not the only religion for which animals are slaughtered without stunning.

I have expressed my views on slaughter without stunning on the other thread and am uncomfortable that this thread has a racist feel to it.  Whether or not that is intentional I am discomfitted.

I don't like slaughter without stunning but I loathe racism.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:21:09 am »
The world is a big place with many religions, I would think most animals on the planet are not killed in an Abbatoir, esecially one with all its regs in place. I personally think loading animals up, sending them away to await there turn in being slaughterd is cruel. On of  the reasons I dont keep pigs. I know Halal has to be done right or they are going against their religion, which they follow with respect and if you think about it we are the great meat eaters, a lot of the world have a lot of vegetarian or fish meals Have you seen how fish die, they are suffocated to death or stunned! Indeed I would think if Halal eaters saw the way our animals are prodded , stressed out and treated in our slaughter houses they would be just as sickened.  The rest of the post is ditto what Sally said

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:29:48 am »
It's got nothing to do with racism, it's about people's perceptions of animal welfare. At the abatoir where I used to work they used to kill up to 8000 lambs a day using a captive bolt then bleeding. The meat was classed as halal due to there being a bloke there reading from the koran while the sheep were killed. The slaughtermen were not muslims. The meat is exactly the same as non halal meat. It's just people's perception.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:17 am »
I agree hermit. Although i don't for one minute think people on here are voicing their opinion through racism, I do think that we in the western world have a different perception when it comes to animal cruelty in other religions and countries.  We do tend to judge everyone else by our standards, but it is alot more complex than that.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Derby_menagerie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Derby
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »
From my expirence what hughesy said is true alot of Halal meat is stunned before slaughter, and a prayer is said by an Imman! There are different opinions in the muslim world, but most in the UK are fine with animals being pre-stunned before bleeding. I think the comments about racism were more due to the fact everyone goes on about how barbaric Halal slaughter is and mentions nothing of Kosher, which is esentially the same process.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:30:26 pm »
Just taken my billyboys in this morning, we discussed Halal, the chap said stunning was acceptable for Halal and they supplied such meat, (dare I say he was white and english), can't imagine them reading the Koran either.
Many years ago a slaughter man was telling me they once had a surprise visit from an inspector, they had to run round knocking big nails into all the dead animals heads.
Who's barbaric?
depends what you hear or see.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 07:20:55 pm »
I've been learning more about slaughter and went off to do some research on halal once I noticed this thread.

I think a lot of the issue people have is through a lack of knowledge, lack of knowledge of halal slaughter and lack of knowledge on 'western' slaughter.

It's interesting that according to a 'study' (have seen in referenced but not seen the study and this is the internet so anything can be said), more pain is felt from the stunning process than if the animal has it's throat slit first. I was also surprised on the website of an organic halal producer that most abbatoirs in this country aren't set up for non-stunning slaughter and so animals receive a stun that knocks them out for 15-20 seconds in which time they can be killed according to halal law (the animal is still alive and would survive if just left on it's own), but is not concious for the killing process. I personally cannot see anything wrong with this way of slaughter and indeed the fact that for meat to be labelled halal the animal must be treated respectfully makes it somewhat more appealing than 'western' slaughter that does not have that requirement.

Slaughter is never going to be nice. It is never going to be pain or stress free for the animal. Western slaughter has it's downsides too. However as meat eaters all we can aim for is the animal to have had a good life and a quick and respectful send off, and after a short time reading I'm no longer sure that halal falls short of this.

I really think that we need more education about where our food comes from in this country, whether it is slaughtered western, kosher or halal and that will lead to a lot less assumption and less prejudice.

Dans (who also sees nothing wrong with outdoor cremation but that's a whole other post).
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

cleopatra

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
i butcher my own pigs and always look for the stun marks on the carcus. clearly visible.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS