Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food from the early days !!  (Read 10001 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Food from the early days !!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 06:27:31 pm »
You did get toys in cereal until recently - actually they put it in a separate plastic packet (must be health and safety) but I haven't seen a toy for ages, all sensible things you have to send away for now (and collect numerous tokens of course).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:50 pm »
We always had Instant Whip, which you made with one pint of milk (I think Angel Delight used half or three quarters of a pint) and it was shared between five of us.  Butterscotch was definitely my favourite.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 09:48:07 pm »
Butterscotch Angel Delight - Oh yes!!! :excited:  Only ever used to get an eggcupful in a family of six.  I really need some, now :yum: .
Does anyone remember liquorice roots as a treat, or is that just me?  You didn't actually eat them, just chewed on them to crush the flavour out.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 09:54:41 pm »
No lucky lady don't remember them but rhubarb stalks with sugar on I do rememmber :-\

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:20 pm »
I remember  liquorice roots , they look like twigs and you were left with chewed up wood, not my fave but Rhubard in sugar yes, loved that!!!  I am stuffed but did buy Angel Delight after reading this thread again!!......I also remember asking for batter bits from the chippy, they were lovely!!!  as for treats they were usualy home made stuff like cake or a stone jar of ginger beer,,,,they got returned but I bet that was better then than it would be now!!!

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 10:18:56 pm »
Happygolucky do you or anyone else remember byuing fizzy drinks in glass bottles and getting a few pence back when you returned them empty, so if you had enough you got a bottle free - so who said we didn't recycle in those days :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23:28 pm »
I remember liquorice roots. They used to be kept in a big sweet jar in the shop. You chewed them until there wasn't much left.  Funny flavour but I loved them.
1 also remember asking for 4 penny worth of chips and crackling which is what we called the batter bits that Sandy is talking about. They were my fav.  ;D Of course they were wrapped in real newspaper. Fish and chips doesn't taste quite the same without it.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 10:52:21 pm »
YOu still can return fizzy drink bottles here......we get a load left from men staying but i put them in the bin, my thoughts also went to the amount of waste we have now as opposed to even when I was a young mum in the 70's   I would buy shopping once a week with some veg and meat from the market and have one small rubbish bin, now I shop more often and we have 4 bins.....we actualy do not waste much ourself but the guests do and everything seems to be paced, before I had bread delivered with no paper or wrapping, meat in bags, veg in brown bags milk in bottles you washed and put out, pop that also got returned and things like bacon anc cheese also in paper....funny how we seemed to have progressed in one way but stepped back in another, a lot of people had thier own fruit and veg when I was a child, many shared stuff with neighbours and children went of helping to collect the crops...chickens or pigs ate scraps, we had a cafe and a man left a bin for all the left overs, we sold our oil from the chipper too...I even use more washing powerder than  I used to...there were no wet wipes just clean cloths etc, no electric gadgets to brush our shoes, teeth bums etc and most people only had one car if that.....they had bikes or used the bus!!!! The one saving grace is we can chat with friends on the net without using any energy...well some!!!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 11:15:36 pm »
it was usually instant whip we had.
Asda recently had angel delight type things for kids - sugar free - about 30p+ or offer on at 4 for a £1
 I got the butterscotch of course, also got chocolate and strawb to keep OH happy, but they tasted odd.
I remember the licorice twigs. must have had quite a few.
I used to get 'lucky bags' on my way to school, about 6d I think
mum would slice an orange and sprinkle with sugar for dessert.
rhubarb sugar dips - great for teeth ;D
I was just thinking recently about a dried powder orange drink we used to get, add water. anybody remember that? can't find it now.
Can you still get the little boxes of dried soup? mum used to have loads in the cupboard, I think she just liked building with them  ;D
There was a grocery van that came round once a week.
and the pop man - corona pop

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:05 pm »
I remember those little soup box's they were tiny, and the corona van, when I started working in Glasgow a memeber of staff said to ask the "ginger man" to leave 2 gingers and an Irun bru,,,,I laughed as the "GInger Man" was ginger.......I also remember that orange type sherbert drink, lovely it was in a can but then we also had some bicarb or something that we could put into plain drinks for the fizz!! 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 08:12:54 am »
I got the butterscotch of course, also got chocolate and strawb to keep OH happy, but they tasted odd.

That's because "sugar free" means the natural sugar has been replaced by cheaper artificial sweeteners. Yum (not).

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 08:13:35 am »
That's Cremola Foam, Sandy.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 09:24:58 am »
Ah yes we used to have a pop man, Benshaws it was . You got money back on the bottles. We also had a bakers van and an onion man! He used to actually ride a bike dressed as a Frenchman selling strings of onions. My Mum would never buy seperate ice creams from the ice cream  van , we used to take a bowl and get it filled and share it. Ringtons tea deliveries were once a week then as well!  Ahh the good old days.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 10:22:30 am »
Creamola!! I have heard that a few times, I wonder if its still around somewhere? 
 I also remember the "rag & bone man" I would hide as he scared me to death, strangly along with the man who came to the door with a turban on...its just the unkown as later I fell in love  :love: with a local indian boy whos dad was from the American Air force that were stationed localy, anywy, back to food.
We hd all sorts of stuff delivered when I was a child, I loved it when a lady came on her horse pulling a cart with fruit and veg on like a market stall!!!  I am not sure if milk men still are around?  that sound first thing of the electric milk float and the tinckle of the bottles on the back!!! I am sure cigarettes were sold in single amounts, mum was a smoker!  I loved the chocolate ones so copied her with them. I loved lucky bags, strange as the present was not much! and as for chews, still love them.
Christmas time is always a time for traditional foods, the smell of mince pies and stuffing always gets my mouth watering.....arhhhh BISTO!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 10:33:24 am »
We used to take our old fizzy drink bottles (corona?) back to the chinese take away when we had our monthly chinese meal from there - happy memories of going with my Dad to collect it and swap the bottles for coins. That is until it was in the local rag that cat skins had been found in OUR takeaway's bins  - we started having Indian then instead.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS