Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food from the early days !!  (Read 10000 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Food from the early days !!
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:58:35 pm »
After buying some Angle Delight I remembered how much I loved it and it got me thinking, when I first got married in the 70's although I was a reasonable cook, things that I cooked were very simple, I am not sure if I even saw or used peppers in my cooking then, or even ate pasta!!! my weekly food would be similar each week, the good old Sunday roast, then stuff like stews, cottage pies, chops and I did not use instant stuff at all...I had a baking day where I made pies, tarts and cake, then.veg would be front he markets also the meat and the bread delivered by the bread man, stuff you cut yourself.   How different things are now!!. Veg from all over the world all year round, same with meat and fish and so many food programmes and internet help......I am amazed at how many things I cook now that I never even thought about years ago!!!!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:15:21 pm »
Yes Sandy , lots of choice these days . I grew up eating peppers in spag bol and chow fan , and even grew them outside on my veggie plot in the late 60's from seed saved from the peppers we used to eat .
Sadly there are many chemicals on and in food these days .
Pesticides , herbicides , gm , plastics and chems to stop food from going off , anti bacs and hormones in meat etc , it is a nightmare .
Then you hit prepared food ! Bugger me , safer to eat rat poison !
Angels delight , i hate to think what was in that , but i liked it , a bit sickly for me now i think ? . 
I tend to eat only eat home grown veg , when poss , and as little meat as poss . I can't afford real meat ie chops etc , just sausages mince etc and who knows wtf the put in that or where it comes from  ?.
I did buy a vesta curry a few years ago , We used to have them as a treat when i was a kid , i nearly puked though , yuk how on earth did i eat it when i was younger ?
 Todays din dins was some local pork , home made sweet and sour sauce , sweet corn , peas , courgette , onion and egg fried rice , yum , well i liked it .
Oh and the chow fan we had as kids was ;
 streaky bacon chopped up , green pepper and onion chopped and lightly fried in butter with button mushrooms , and omlet chopped up , all mixed up and cooked with soy sauce and served on basmati rice .
Ah the good ole days .

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Food from the early days !!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »
For some strange reason my mum loved Vesta Meals, a bit like the runs in a bag  ::)  My children used to love Pot noodles, not much better but handy for camping trips.
I really cannot remember cooking with peppers at all until maybe the late 80's ::)   Meat is very expensive indeed BUT just go to a supermarket and you can buy 2 million bags of crisps for £1 (slight exageration) Those big tins of chocies for £4-£5 but veg and fruit are soooo expensive......no wonder I am  :pig: ::)
I buy anything like meat or fish reduced and freeze it, then I do a mass cook of soups, pies or curries or stews.....we eat cheaply but drink expensivly  :innocent:
As for pesticides etc, my father in law (farmer) and my dad (water board inspector) had old tins of all sorts in thier sheds, that wonderful paraquot stuff, Meths, Chloride?  then they went and burnt the rubbish so toxic smoke.......are people really going to live longer now we are not allowed to give our animals food scraps, most of us have fridges or freezers, not exposed like we were to deadly chemicals, now we have warnings and sell by dates on everything!!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:57:59 am »
Ah Vesta Meals!!!  Isnt it funny that it was sucha treat  - probaly the msg.  I always used to choose vesta beef risoto or chow mein for my birthday tea!!!!!!  They were probably pretty expensive relative to home cooking then.  I still have the odd craving!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:24:57 am »
Pot Noodles always take me back to my days working in the stables or kennels as a teen. Something hot to thaw me out as it was freezing!! Try and eat them now and they make me heave!
My girls have angel delight about twice a year if I can get away with not making it , I will.
I look back at what Mum fed me as a kid and I'd never let mine eat it, funny really. Although that doesn't include her traditional stews, roasts etc they were fine but I'd question where she sourced her meat
Ten years married and hubby actually said to me a few weeks ago "I think you've sussed how to make perfect roast potatoes now!!" - goes to show doesn't it?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:37:45 am »
Vesta meals, yes, we used to have them too. Then there were Fray Bentos meat pies in tins. I bought those when I first got married and we loved them.
I have a cook book from the 70's with nice pictures which I have recently taken too again. A lot of the recipes are very basic like eggs in mayonnaise or chicken with sweetcorn, but its great to reminisce.
Sally
p.s., don't tell anyone but I have a packet of Angel Delight in the cupboard  :excited:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:04:40 am »
My Dad did all the cooking in the evenings, he was an excellent cook but we still had a Vesta once a week. My Gran did a lot of puddings, she did a lot of suet/ steamed puds which I still love. We always had fresh as my Grandad had an allotment  Gran made preserves including medicines and my Dad grew herbs and fruit. After shopping on a Saturday we  had a buffet tea,lots of out of the packet sausage rolls, pies and those new crisps called Skips. But Mum would shop locally for good ingredients for main meals. She now sends to Aberdeen from Halifax for her meat as her local butcher is now what she calls a 'stir fry' butcher and does not sell local meat. Even her farm shop sells alligator and kangaroo! I remember going to the local farm for eggs and milk , ordering the turkey etc. I cannot remember anything but Saturday tea food, jellies or vestas out of a packet ( makings yes) Even now if I ate a bag of crisps all I can taste is sugar!  Even the kids parties I went to all the food was made. I am trying hard but cant remember ever having an Angel Delight , if we had sweets it was a bun paper full of raisins or cocoa mixed with sugar. I must have lived a very sheltered life! At the end of the week my Dad used to make Bungidins which were clean the fridge out bung it in recpies. I still do Bungidins!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:46:34 am »
Seems we all had Vesta meals......ready meals can actually be nice now, we may just buy a ready meal for our Christmas dinner as I usually end up cooking them most years, not last year though as my daughter and son in law cooked!!   It was all simple food, I remember Brains frozen faggots, they sounded horrid but were lovely.....an those tinned pies, I remember them when I first got married, my mum used to make her own and they were wonderful, she was a brilliant cook and strangely sometimes she would bring us left overs from the Mental Hospital (sorry about that non PC term) she was a Nurse not an inmate  ;) I had a hippy friend who took a fray Bentos pie on a camping holiday to France but brought it back unopened so customs made them open it then and there, they were gutted !! Fish fingers were actually nice then I am sure and those crispy pancake things we had on some occasions, usually Saturday!!  I used to make loads of puddings and I was thing then, maybe that's where I am going wrong now!!!!   I really notice my store cupboard is so different than when I first married, I would ALWAYS have :- Tinned Ham., Spam, Salmon, Peaches, Carnation tinned milk, Pineapplerings , Jelly lumps, Pie fillings, usually cherry, Ambrosia rice pudding and of course mixed fruit cocktail!  I recently bought some Tesco cheapo orange segments ages ago to put into a trifle with other fruits and I was pleasantly surprised how nice they were,  that's what made me think of what I used to buy!! How times change!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 01:22:28 pm »
We used to have a Vesta meal on a Saturday - it was a real treat and we thought we were at the cutting edge of cuisine  ;D

Findus Crispy pancakes, Bird's Eye mousses in wee tubs, fish fingers - but they were a treat, not a regular thing.

My Mum shopped on a Friday night at the Co-op, and a delivery boy brought the box (one box) of messages to the door (You shop, we drop  :thumbsup: ). Fresh stuff was bought daily.

We had tinned peaches the other night with yogurt and they were lovely - at least more reliable than fresh. I bought six tins this month as a standby  ;)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:39:09 pm »
My favourite as a kid was green jelly - that's woodruff flavour in Germany, not lime! And last year Lidl suddenly had woodruff flavour jelly... Had to buy some, just to take me back in time! It's pretty horrible, really, especially as the stuff they had was low calorie, ie with artificial sweeteners. But I still like the flavour.

I think the "worst" food we had was powdered soup - Knorr asparagus, mushroom etc; we usually had that on Saturdays, either with a Frankfurter type sausage in it, or just with bread.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 02:14:35 pm »
Wot memories!
yes, dad would go out Saturday night with the next door neighbour, mum and I would have our treat - A Vesta!
Later years, If mum was saving up for her hols it would be egg and chips every teatime, I ended up buying my own food.
I love Angel delight  ;D , don't buy it very often, but with some bottled fruit it makes a quick dessert, sometimes I only put half the powder in and it made a lovely thick milk shake.

Hermit - if your mum lives in Halifax there are lots of 'home grown' farm shops etc, at least out Hebden Bridge / Todmorden, much ado about the 'Incredible Edible' in Todmorden. Butcher in Hebden Bridge uses their own or locally sourced meat.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:37:43 pm »
Thanks but she only goes about on her scooter around Elland now, she is 81.' Her' butcher in Aberdeen really looks after her and his portions are real mansize so she splits most things in two or more. She always has paid premium for good meat. When I am down I go to Tod and HB a lot, love them but they are inaccessible to my Mum, unless she is taken. My sis has a stall on Tod Market  and takes her pies and bits but steaks and meats only from her loverboy in Aberdeen! ::) ::)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 03:47:18 pm »
[quoteWe had tinned peaches the other night with yogurt and they were lovely - at least more reliable than fresh. I bought six tins this month as a standby  ;) ]  I found tinned oranges very nice jn a light syrup so we also bought Peaches and Pears and I always keep some tinned Rhubarb still as its no different to the real stuff in a crumble and unless you have your own its expensive to buy, sugar and cook!!!   Just remembered that I loved a bit of dream topping, probably all chemicals but it was nice on a trifle!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 03:59:14 pm »
Oh yes, dream topping, mmm. We used to have something similar at shchool which we called shaving foam  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 05:02:31 pm »
Brought back so many memories of my youth - Vesta paella was my favourite ;D And we had Frey Bentos steak and kidney pie about every week, oh and I also loved Findus Crispy pancakes too. Don't think I would thank you for any of them now though :-\
Mum also always made lots of home made food too and we always had a roast on a sunday and if it was beef then stovies on monday!
Rosemary I also remember the friday night shop and the cupboards seemed to be full of goodies, not that they really were that full, there was just more food than the day before ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS