Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food from the early days !!  (Read 9997 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Food from the early days !!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »
Have our pallets really changed that much?  I wonder how I could have a family of 5 with just the co op delivery of shopping or Thursday night big shop (husbands pay day), then the market for veg and meat. I did not have a freezer for years either, after our big shop it was fish and chips from the chippy!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 05:29:46 pm »
You still can't beat fish and chips from the chippy  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 05:38:44 pm »
not at a £10 for 2 portions :o

i aim at £1/ head/night. and achieve it most nights. however that doesnt include my veg growing, or game. weve eaten for nothing for the last 4days and tonights leftover pheasent stew will be free too!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »
There were 7 kids in our family so lots of food . Me and my sister did the shopping every other day . From when i was 11 , 1969 onwards , i had 2 allotments and grew huge amounts of veg . Enough to keep 9 well fed . Most days i lugged my duffle bag back from the lott , full of veg . Some went in the kitchen cupboard and the rest was stored in my shed , i had my own shed from age 10 on .
The home grown veg meant we didn't ever go hungry , and that we could have treats now and then , like the vesta , my favourite was the beef curry one .
 Another favourite was stuffed marrow .
The stuffing was mince beef with home grown onion , peas , carrot , swede . This we had with mashed spud , swede , french beans , sprouts , cabbage or whatever else was ready off the lotty or out of the shed .
The marrows , spuds , swede , onions , carrots etc would fill the shed and last through the winter till next years crop .
I gave up the lotties when i was 18 , as i was working 8 till 6 , 6 days a week and had no time to work the plots . We moved to Wales when i was 20 and i started growing veg again .
Home made mince pie was fantastic , could live on that alone , that or cheese flan we had at school . None of my mates liked it , but i did , so got them all to ask for extra helpings and then get them to go back for seconds . This may make some feel a bit sick , but i used to put all that flan in my duffle bag , the very same one i used for the veg , and eat it the rest of the week .
I hate to think what the inside of that bag was like , but that flan was fantastic .

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
I so loved school cheese flan, never had any the same since, I loved the tinned tomatos with it too, funny but even though my mum was a great cook I still loved school dinners!!! 
I love free food......I hate to see kids off to school with a bag of crisps (as much as I love crisps) but when they are so cheap at the shops as oppose to other breakfast stuff, I can see why!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 06:32:40 pm »
Friday night was chippy night . I rarely had fish , my thing was saveloys . As it was my job to go to the chippy to get dinner for the family , i used to get 2 saveloys and a huge bag of scrapings to eat on the way home . Then i had another sav and chips at home .
Friday night was always the night dad went out after the pub shut and got cockles , whelks , winkles , crab and sometimes lobster from the van in the car park .
I can't afford saveloy and chips now , or cockles etc .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 10:21:11 pm »
My mum wouldn't have dreamed of serving Vesta meals but I was introduced to them by a boyfriend when I was fifteen.

We always had our dinner in the middle of the day and Dad would come home from work for it.  Then we had a cooked tea: beans on toast, egg on toast, salad, etc.  On Saturday mornings, Dad would go early to the fish market (I grew up in Hastings which had a thriving fishing industry) and buy fish straight from the fishermen at 'locals' price (it was dearer later in the day when the tourists were about) then bring it home for Mum to clean and gut after she had done a load of washing mainly school uniforms.  We'd have them fried with home made chips.  The fish was so fresh that one day she'd put it on the draining board and was filling a bowl with water to clean it.  One fish jumped into the water. 

Tea on Saturday was always sausages and baked beans.  On Sunday we had a roast then cold meat and bubble and squeak on Monday when the main wash had been done.

cleopatra

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 10:24:46 pm »
we had butterscotch angel delight tonight but im the only one who likes it... ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:23 pm »
We also had butterscotch angel delight.......funny how much we all seem to remember about food....... :thumbsup:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:34 am »
I LOVE this thread, its about my favouits subject..food!
I used to have the Vesta prawn curries, but only it I bought them for myself. Mother wouldnt have such a thing in her shopping basket!
Mum was a fantastic cook, she was a great pie maker, she did stews, macaroni cheese was a family favourite, she did it with CHIPS can you believe? One of my personal favourites was a steamed bacon and onion pudding which we had with mash, butter beans and gravy. It was so tasty.
Both of my schools did fantastic dinners. Everything was totally delicious, from mince meat cobler to chocolate cake with chocolate custard at junior school, to fish and chips with a fantastic fresh salad on a friday at senior school. No wonder Im the size I am!!!

Oh and yes WE had butterscotch angel delight. It was called Instant Whip in the old days!

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 12:38:17 pm »
Mary, wasn't Instant Whip the rival company?
...and what about Cremola Foam, the nearest we ever got to fizzy drinks? :P

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 02:00:39 pm »
Spam
Condensed milk on a sandwich with sugar sprinkled on the top  :o 
Birds Instant Trifle
Instant Whip if you couldn't afford Angel Delight (Butterscotch has to be).

Funny, I thought this post was going to be something historical from Tudor times  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 02:07:30 pm »

Funny, I thought this post was going to be something historical from Tudor times  :D
Henry VIII must have eaten his fair share of Frey Bentos pies and Angel Delight :roflanim:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 05:41:33 pm »
metal pies. omg. forgotten about them!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 06:15:19 pm »
I still have a £1 metal pie in the store cupboard!!  I also remember and you can still buy them. exploding sponge stream puds!!!, they went into a pan of boiling water for what seemed like hours, often the pa would boil dry.!  now I just micro wave cake mix with jam or golden syrup.. ....My children always wanted me to buy Pop Tarts but I only bought them maybe once, lethal things for mouth burning but OK, then of course toasted sandwhich makers.  I loved them, still have one but not much fun to have a single one with a family of 5 all hearty eaters !!!  I am not a fan of all the highly sugared cereals but when mine children were little, and me, there was often free toys in them, those submarines were you put baking soda to make them dive..never got the chance as my brother stole them....Do they put toys in cereal now? :roflanim:  Stream puds........steam

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:16:48 pm by happygolucky »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS