Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HI from Mid Devon  (Read 3666 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
HI from Mid Devon
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:00:48 pm »
Hello all,
I've been dipping in and out of this forum gathering loads of useful advice, for ages.Thought at last it was time to dip the toe in.
We live in mid-Devon, and have approx 4 acres of land on which we keep a small flock of Wiltshire Horns (and some Lleyn crosses) plus a bunch of free range hens. Until recently we also had 8 British Lops gambolling about the field which we had raised from weaners (first excursion into pigs). They are now nestling in various friends and families freezers.
Prob too small to be a smallholder so maybe a tinyholder. we love it, love eating our own produce and wish we didnt have to go out  to work.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: HI from Mid Devon
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:08:47 pm »
Defo not too small, 4 acres is a goodly amount of land :thumbsup:  Lots of scope :thinking:
Glad you enjoyed your piggy adventure.
Welcome from North Yorkshire
Mandy :pig:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »
hi from cornwall! :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:41:23 pm »
Hello  :wave: from a former DASH member, now farming up North in Cumbria.   :cold:

We've people of all types and scopes on here, many smaller than yourselves up through large smallholdings, small farms to one or two larger family farms.

If this place is of interest to you, you qualify for membership!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 03:17:52 pm »
Well I've only got 2 acres and I definitely regard myself as a smallholder! :)

I did much the same as you. Logged onto TAS every weekend for years to learn as much as I could before eventually taking the plunge this April. I'm at much the same stage as you - free range hens, Wiltshire Horns and a couple of weaners. Have also put up a polytunnel and hope to grow masses of fruit and veg next year. It's great, isn't is it? :thumbsup:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 03:50:20 pm »
Hi from the Isle of Mull  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:21:46 pm »
 :wave: Hi from Shropshire.  I class myself as a smallholder when I only have a garden for my goats and veg.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »
Hi  :wave:  and welcome from Worcesteshire - I agree with the others, plenty of scope with 4 acres :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:32:04 pm »
hello everyone. rather wishing i hadnt played down my lovely 4 acres. I've got far too used to going to Mole Avon looking for  supplies and coughing embarassedly before  i tell them i've got 12 sheep !! I was at Exeter market this morning looking for  a ram and got chatting to this chap who laughed at me when i said i needed to cover 7 ewes.Nice to be somewhere where I'm not such a small fish !

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:25:38 am »
Hello and welcome from Durham  :wave:

If you are too small for a smallholder then get the microscope out for my two little allotments  :D . I've found any size on this site are welcome and any question answered  :thumbsup:

Hope you find it as helpful, and the chitchat or jokes are fun too  :sunshine:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »
Hi from East Devon!

Try buying wormers and kit for 2 sheep!lol

Addicted to Cullompton Mole Valley- mostly for a Keniford Farm pork roll on a Saturday  morning! :)
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:49:07 am »
Belated hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 05:09:08 pm »
I love Wiltshire Horn - thinking of getting some to add to my flock of Herdwicks and motley bunch of cross-breeds. Look forward to seeing your posts various sections of the forum. If you get more pigs and have any questions, fire away - I'm better on pigs than sheep!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 06:59:07 pm »
 :wave:
Hi, we are up in north Devon on the coast with our 5 acres. We wont be new to growing but will definitely be new to looking after rare breed pigs. Currently clearing woodland. This site is great and we have also found DASH really useful too......n we meet fellow smallholders. :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS