Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie from Inverness  (Read 5527 times)

Steven

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Newbie from Inverness
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 08:06:45 pm »
Evening,

I too live in Inverses. We have acquired a large garden on the outskirts of the town. The extra area backs onto a filed and we are looking at the feasibility of raising a couple of pigs or so. There is enough space but the main barrier appears to be eventually transporting the grown pigs to slaughter.

We just have a basic family 4X4 which will be fine for collecting wieners in the large dog crate but I do not think that this is viable for several kilo's down the line. We do not have a trailer.

How did you get your pig's to slaughter?

Would you or other small holders with access to appropriate transport be interested in an informal arrangement? (e.g. transport a couple to the slaughter house for a share of the meat or reasonable fee??)

No firm commitment needed, just trying to gage what is feasible locally.

Thanks,

Steven

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 10:22:45 am »
hello and welcome from the Bigchicken from the kingdom of Fife
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 09:54:42 pm »
Steven I'm after a small live stock trailer and you can use that I'm in inverses most Fridays and we can sort

Steven

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 10:36:57 am »
Thanks Victorian Farmer,

That sounds great. I am still at the early stages. The reason for exploring the issue now is so that we can decide on fencing.

Great news that it sounds viable.

Bring on a pair of saddlebacks in the spring.

Steven

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 08:21:56 pm »
Belated welcome from the east coast of Sutherland!  :wave:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 09:46:59 pm »
Hello up there in Inverness, down in the Scottish Borders here, all the best  :wave:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 11:23:09 pm »
Hello - we are just outside Inverness in Cawdor, just got 10acres here but settling into it with my 2 donkeys!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 04:17:18 pm »
A very belated welcome from me  :wave:  from wet wet wet Worcestershire  :gloomy:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

sfallon

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 06:06:13 pm »
Hi there.
I am a newbie on here, just registered and was reading your article about donkeys/ponies. Would you be interested in having a pony as company for them.? He is currently a companion for my youngsters who I am selling and need to find Walty a lovely home. I have had him 3 years and he would come with a full wardrobe of summer/winter in fact all season rugs..........he's better dressed than me!!!
No health issues,  approx 12.2 hh and chestnut, but is a bit pampered, currently in at night, Up to date with worming, farrier etc. will stand for hours to be groomed, used to dogs, children etc.

Just an idea, I wouldnt be offended if you didn't want to take anymore. Equally, if you know of anybody who could offer a fantastic retirement home, I would be very grateful if you could pass on my details. Didn't want to advertise him as fear of him getting ridden etc. Must have field shelter or able to come in at night.

Thanks again,

Regards,
Sarah.

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:50 am »
I've just joined here too. So nice to hear there are local folk around who are managing their livestock and vegetables. In Yorkshire we had a smallholders get-togther and just talked informally about what we were up to and shared our experiences and sometimes our equipment or provided an extra pair of hands. There seem to be a few of us around the area..???
Have to exp-lore whats on on the 30th. Maybe see some folk there.

sfallon

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 02:54:49 pm »
Hi there.

Just read your post...........hope you're not tooooooooooo snowed in up there in Nairnshire.
Are you still looking to rehome a retirement pony??? I have a lovely little pony - Walty who I will be looking for a new home for come Springtime (ish). He has been with me 3 years as a companion to my two youngsters who I am going to sell and give up horses and concentrate on my son. I didn't want to advertise him as he is an ex scottish pony club team pony - very talented in his day and didn't want  him to go to someone who would bring him back into work. No health issues -  up to date with farrier, worming etc.
Will understand if you have already toooooo much on with your two donkeys, but would appreciate if you could recommend anyone equally. He would either need to come in at night or have a field shelter as completely pampered and comes with complete wardrobe - he's better dressed than me!!!!!! lol.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Sarah. :

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS