Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fleece  (Read 16029 times)

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
fleece
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:05:28 pm »
hi all  :wave:
im new to this site and im just starting to learn to spin so Im looking for lots of helpful information please  :)

ok I have a few questions

1. where can I buy any  breed but reasonably priced of raw fleece from
2. having washed the fleece do i then card it before spinning
3. Does anyone know of any spinning groups in the north east of UK ie Middlesbrough - Durham area or withing 30 miles from these areas I am so desperate to join a group near me

ok I think thats enough questions to start with I am so excited  :excited: and wanting to get spinning you can also email me on arumba05@yahoo.co.uk

thanks   :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: fleece
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:11:29 pm »
Hi and welcome arumba  :wave:
You can buy fleece on ebay or, if you aren't in a hurry wait for the various wool festivals next year. They always have fleece for sale.
You will definitely find it easier to spin if carded first, particularly if you are a new spinner.
Sorry I'm not in your area so don't know of any local spinning groups. Have you googled?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:04 pm »
A really good way to buy fleece is through the British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association.  Sorry I don't have their web address to hand but just google them.  The BCSBA is an organisation set up specifically to put smallscale producers and buyers of fleece (not just coloured) and wool products in touch with eachother.  They have a strict code for the quality of fleece offered so you can avoid the risk of buying sight unseen as you necessarily have to do when buying via the internet.

Just off to put the tups in with the ewes for their annual funfest and I will come back to say hello  :) :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:33:39 pm »
Shame you are so far south of me (I thought you were local as you said NE UK - but where you are that's way down south to me ;D ); I have a few fleeces I want to get rid of, but I don't know whether they are still any good, because they've been around for a while, so I don't think I would chance paying out a lot for postage...

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 02:39:35 pm »
Hi Arumba and welcome- I have been pointed at Ravelry by the wise ones of this forum - its a maze, but wonderful!!!  I think you can buy fleece from some of the members there and you can seaarch for groups and fellow spinners local to you by postcode ;D
I have 15 raw Beulah fleeces from my sheep  - they are a mountain breed, but these first lamb fleeces seem quite fine to me (mind you I am a beginer too!!!), medium legth and some crimp (must try to classify more accurately!) .  I'm happy to sell on eor two - make me an offer for postage and a contribution to shearing if of interest....  And good luck!  Now Ive started I cant wait to try different breeds too (one of my neighbours has saved me some Alpaca, so looking forward to that!!!).  Cheers, Fi

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:49:04 pm »
Hi arumba  :wave:  from one of the North of England spinners in the group  ;D

Your nearest known spinner is Mammyshaz, I'm sure she'll be along soon to tell you more.

Mammyshaz and I both go occasionally to a really friendly group in Stanhope, Co, Durham.  That's every Weds 11:30 - 3:30pm in the Town Hall in Stanhope.  If you want to go along, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the lady who runs it.

There's a Durham Guild, Mammyshaz can tell you more about them.  The other Guild nearish to you is Tynedale, who meet in Stocksfield, east of Hexham, on the third Saturday of the month.

I have a little group over my side of the country, 2nd Friday of the month, 1-5pm Gilsland Village Hall.  Next one is this Friday, you would be very welcome.  Mammyshaz usually does come across for it, as do quite a few of the members of the Stanhope group.

There's also a group of Travelling Spinners who meet on the first Saturday of each month in varied locations around and about in Northumberland and nearby.  Last Saturday they were near Morpeth, October they were in Allendale; I can't remember where December's meeting is.  Are you on Ravelry?  They have a group on there.

I suspect our paths will cross sometime soon  ;D

Oh!  And the Stanhope group have access to all kinds of fibre and fleeces, including some of my fleece  :)   Don't be in a rush to buy raw fleece until you get a bit further along ;)

edited to correct details of Stanhope group
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:31:03 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 03:16:00 pm »
Its such a shame you just missed the Masham sheep fair, which has a good fleece stall. (Masham Sheep Fair is held last weekend in September)

I'm new to spinning too though not new to sheep. ...sadly most groups are too far away from me to join in with. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:28:32 pm »
Its such a shame you just missed the Masham sheep fair, which has a good fleece stall. (Masham Sheep Fair is held last weekend in September)

I'm new to spinning too though not new to sheep. ...sadly most groups are too far away from me to join in with.

There really is no shortage of fleece  in our area!

How far 'oop North' is it you are, quiltycats?  Two of the most common things said on Ravelry are, "There are no spinning police", and, "Everyone always says there are no spinning groups nearby - and there nearly always are."
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 03:48:14 pm »
Naturally I am in the prettiest bit  :innocent:

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 05:26:54 pm »
THANK YOU ALL  for replying back to me with a mind full of information oh my what lovely helpful people you all are I will try and get back to you all but if I dont I just want to say THANK YOU !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 05:42:02 pm »
Naturally I am in the prettiest bit  :innocent:
Well then we must be neighbours  :-J :eyelashes:  :D

I guess it depends how far you are prepared to travel - I travel up to 40 miles for my spin-ins.  The groups I go to are :
  • Carlisle knitters (weekly) - c. 15 miles
  • Penrith (Eden Valley) Guild (monthly) - 35 miles
  • Stanhope Spinners (weekly) - 40 miles
  • Gilsland Fibre Fridays (monthly) - 1 mile  :)
(I don't do the weekly meets every week, probably once a month.)

Three of us from around here go to Stanhope, one regularly (weekly); three people come 40 miles or more to Gilsland...

Sociable folks, spinners!  ;D

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:58:26 pm »
Hi Sally

is that Bishop Aukland way? could you give me a postcode please looks  like I may meet you there lol I live in Stockton on Tees at the moment on a wednesday i look after my 2 granddaughters but that is going to change soon to a Tuesday so when it does I will come along
Thank You x

author=SallyintNorth link=topic=28940.msg287882#msg287882 date=1352126944]
Hi arumba  :wave:  from one of the North of England spinners in the group  ;D

Your nearest known spinner is Mammyshaz, I'm sure she'll be along soon to tell you more.

Mammyshaz and I both go occasionally to a really friendly group in Stanhope, Weardale.  That's every Weds 11:30 - 3:30pm in the Village Hall in Stanhope.  If you want to go along, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the lady who runs it.

There's a Durham Guild, Mammyshaz can tell you more about them.  The other Guild nearish to you is Tynedale, who meet in Stocksfield, east of Hexham, on the third Saturday of the month.

I have a little group over my side of the country, 2nd Friday of the month, 1-5pm Gilsland Village Hall.  Next one is this Friday, you would be very welcome.  Mammyshaz usually does come across for it, as do quite a few of the members of the Stanhope group.

There's also a group of Travelling Spinners who meet on the first Saturday of each month in varied locations around and about in Northumberland and nearby.  Last Saturday they were near Morpeth, October they were in Allendale; I can't remember where December's meeting is.  Are you on Ravelry?  They have a group on there.

I suspect our paths will cross sometime soon  ;D

Oh!  And the Stanhope group have access to all kinds of fibre and fleeces, including some of my fleece  :)   Don't be in a rush to buy raw fleece until you get a bit further along ;)
[/quote]

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »
Hi Ina  :wave:

we are classed as living in the north east but I suppose it depends where your from lol where are you actually from then Ina? How long do fleeces last?

Thanks  :thumbsup:

Shame you are so far south of me (I thought you were local as you said NE UK - but where you are that's way down south to me ;D ); I have a few fleeces I want to get rid of, but I don't know whether they are still any good, because they've been around for a while, so I don't think I would chance paying out a lot for postage...

arumba

• Joined Nov 2012
  • north east uk
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:13 pm »
Hi Fleecewife  :wave:

Thank you for the the British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association site ive been on it will have a godd look later this evening  :thumbsup:

A really good way to buy fleece is through the British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association.  Sorry I don't have their web address to hand but just google them.  The BCSBA is an organisation set up specifically to put smallscale producers and buyers of fleece (not just coloured) and wool products in touch with eachother.  They have a strict code for the quality of fleece offered so you can avoid the risk of buying sight unseen as you necessarily have to do when buying via the internet.

Just off to put the tups in with the ewes for their annual funfest and I will come back to say hello  :) :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:13:15 pm »
Hi, you've been given lots of good meeting up info so I'll just chip in on the fleece front.

Personally I'd buy prepared tops for now, while you're learning. It's a whole extra ballgame to prepare fleece yourself and if not done brilliantly, makes spinning harder.

Wingham Wool Work is a great place to buy all sorts of different prepared tops from (they sell all sorts of other things, but I'd start with wool, it's much easier to learn with). Corriedale is a nice wool to learn with, merino not so easy but nice and soft once you've got going. Shetland and Blue Faced Leicester are both lovely, easy to spin and soft.

You posted while I was typing.
Fleeces, once washed, if stored in cool and airy conditions, will last for years. If put away in plastic bags, unwashed, they attract moths and deteriorate quickly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS