Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Micro pigs again..... Xmas is coming  (Read 12313 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Micro pigs again..... Xmas is coming
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 10:08:41 am »
How did this all start out? Did someone just breed from runts to get the pig size down or are they some sort of import?  Pls excuse my ignorance, I remember seeing something on TV a while back, but was so disgusted that people kept them in houses and treated them like dogs that I just turned off.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04:44 am »
It really started with Jane croft a couple of years ago, although small pigs have been a problem with the sanctuaries in the US for many years, its a spin off from pot bellies I think. Originally it was runt to runt, but then people like rob rose who is the biggest problem after Jane croft, started putting large traditional breeds to kune kunes and pot bellies to get the colours and of course you couldn't guarantee the size. Jane croft was buying up litters everywhere regardless of what they were or their history, so the spread of micro turned large pig spread. JC is very good at marketing herself, so the micro trade took off. It pandered to the plebs who wanted the next new fashionable thing.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 12:29:20 pm »
I've just read this months copy of Smallholder magazine and was about to post about the advertisement regarding what is described as micro/mini pigs .... they are even willing to keep the piggies for a while if you are wishing to purchase them for that very special christmas present  :o  . Can see reading this thread that someone has beaten me to it. My daughter would like a micro-pig .... have explained that from my little knowledge I believe that there is no such thing. She sees cute photos of them in her animal/pet based comics and after seeing the advert in a proper grown up smallholding magazine she is now sure that I must have it wrong. I know nothing about pigs at all and have no intention of keeping a pig of any size or shape but have to admit that it must be very confusing to lots of adults let alone children when they see such an advert in a supposedly serious smallholding publication.

I don't have the knowledge base to ring that magazine and discuss their printing of such an advert but there maybe people on here that would wish to do so. I think it is worth you serious pig keepers taking a look. It is a full page colour advert. Piglets are shown beside crackers and xmas parcels and I think there would be complaints if pups etc. were advertised as possible xmas presents ..... let alone other issues as to whether micro-pigs actually exist and so on.

Sorry, not a pig keeper so maybe should keep out of it but couldn't believe my eyes when my daughter gleefully held it out  :o [size=78%] [/size]

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:48 pm »
You will have to excuse my ignorance but if it is true that micro-pigs don't exist then surely this advertisement breaks some sort of law???  ???  Or anyone could advertise anything?

Or is there dispute as to whether they actually exist?

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 01:02:20 pm »
Or is there dispute as to whether they actually exist?

For what its worth, my view is that it is 'just' a generic term that has been adopted to mean a 'small pig' ... it is most certainly not in the context of KK, OSB, SB, GOS etc ....
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 01:04:09 pm »
I agree P6te, it is a generic term for small pig and also a marketing term to imply these pigs stay small and can be a house pet.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 01:06:14 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Not having any knowledge of the micro issue I won't pursue that angle but think I will contact them anyway because I strongly disagree with the way the advert. portrays the pigs/ any animal as a xmas present. Thought that was very out-dated/frowned upon now. ::) :o

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »
I agree P6te, it is a generic term for small pig and also a marketing term to imply these pigs stay small and can be a house pet.

Exactly!
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 02:31:38 pm »
So basically it is a false product.  It is amazing that Trading Standards haven't been involved. What a load of carp.   As for smallholder advertising such rubbish ....does them no credit at all. absolute tosh.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 02:46:22 pm »
Mrs snoodles, it is too longwinded to go into it again, but trading standards across the country have been involved, the police have been involved, animal health have been involved, so as defra, rspca, sspca, where have you been these last two years  ;) :) not with courtneys i hasten to add but with micro pigs in general. There has been prosecutions for breeders, threatening letters to people who try and stop it and many thousands of pigs that have suffered. Pet pigs taken back by the breeders then taken to the abattoir, the stories go on and on.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:48:33 pm by rispainfarm »

www.porkyquines.co.uk

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 05:57:50 pm »
Been in Mrs Snoodles world in sleepy Suffolk!  Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember someone being taken to court in Suffolk with micro pigs that had OSB markings  :thinking:
....I remember seeing it in the paper. To be honest, I get so wound up by this sort of stuff I tend to let it blow over me otherwise I get me knickers in a right old twist. :o

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 06:15:31 pm »
 :wave: mrs s from sleepy Norfolk/Suffolk border

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 10:42:34 pm »
 :wave: hello :)

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 07:07:15 am »
It really started with Jane croft a couple of years ago, although small pigs have been a problem with the sanctuaries in the US for many years, its a spin off from pot bellies I think. Originally it was runt to runt, but then people like rob rose who is the biggest problem after Jane croft, started putting large traditional breeds to kune kunes and pot bellies to get the colours and of course you couldn't guarantee the size. Jane croft was buying up litters everywhere regardless of what they were or their history, so the spread of micro turned large pig spread. JC is very good at marketing herself, so the micro trade took off. It pandered to the plebs who wanted the next new fashionable thing.

the fad had been going on for a little longer than a couple of years now jane croft had her first advertising challenge taken to court in 2010, i remember seeing some of her first pigs on show after she paid for a stand to advertise them even back then they were being challenged about ages and sizes etc but the woman was a salesman through and through. until publishers etc stop selling advertising space etc these poor animals will be bred and sold.

another 9 pet pigs went through market yesterday ........brought by the meat man  :innocent:

another gripe i have is the adverts with micro pigs selling entire males  :roflanim: who would want a entire boar of any size as a pet  :thinking:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:03 am »
Theres a load of micros at Skipton auction this sat suspect they will come from the source i originally posted about as thats their local mart. Theres a post in members about the sale & a link to the catalogue.
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS