Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Micro pigs again..... Xmas is coming  (Read 12328 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Micro pigs again..... Xmas is coming
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:44:24 pm »
Sorry to raise this one again but just had an e-mail from North Yorks smallholders somebody selling micro piglets ready 20th Dec ::) >:( (she also has   KK's for sale in the same ad) These poor pigs are bound to end up in somebody's xmas stocking and it starts all over again, a responsible owner would put them as being for sale after Xmas at least >:(
Can't decide whether to contact the breeder and point this out or i just might end up in a slanging match.  :sofa: what do you think?
Mandy :pig:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Micro pigs again..... Xmas is coming
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »
Mandy,
I am sorry to say that the breeder is almost certainly already fully aware and is bargining on them being sold for xmas gifts. You will end up in the slanging match.  :(
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:23:31 pm »
mandy were all banging our heads againt a brick wall here until these breeders / sellers are held legally to sales description these pigs will keep being mis sold.

mind i could be tempted to ring  :innocent:

btw every week our local market are seeing more pet pigs going through as people get fed up with them cant say what the auctioner calls that part of the sale  :innocent: for fear of upsetting some people  :eyelashes:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:29:39 pm »
 ::)   Just seen this on ebay... You can even buy toy teacup piggies now,  Talk about encourage the kids. 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »
cant say what the auctioner calls that part of the sale  :innocent: for fear of upsetting some people  :eyelashes:

Oh, go on - whisper it  :innocent:

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:14:11 pm »
Our local magazine had an advert for some in the Ag section.  I sent a message to the editor, but it's still there this week....

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:36:53 pm »
Hi - would anyone like two pigs? They are about 5/6 months old, one male one female.  I think they are cross micro pig and mini pot belly pigs.  They are free to a good home and must be collected.  We are in Gloucestershire.
Did you read the above comments?? ??? ::)
I rest my case for the defence your honour :rant: :rant: :rant:
mandy :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:37 pm »
1................2.......................3....................4.................. :innocent:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

lyndainwhite

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:28:23 pm »
In any event your honour one should be in reciept of the full facts before passing judgement.  I have now removed the post as it is not my intention to offend anyone.  Have a good evening...

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:48:48 pm »
did anyone see the advert promoting Courtneys petting farm and advertising micro pigs for sale, genuine micros of course :innocent: She had photoshopped pictures of them coming out of xmas crackers, presents etc. I felt sick.  >:( :rant: :'(

Mandy i wouldn't bother, you will have no affect, the sort of people who do this couldn't care less about the pigs they just see dollar signs. On a similar note, i was told by a friend of a micro pig that was sold to somebody, they were told it was 12 weeks old, two weeks later it died, the vet said it was no more than four weeks old, which means it was taken away at one week. There is only one word to describe these people who do this and that is SCUM!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:44:19 pm by rispainfarm »
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:01:23 pm »
Money springs to mind it like the lambs being sold at easter as pets, or puppies for christmas.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:47:28 am »
It is just a fad though and it will pass and these wretched people will end up stopping as there's no money in it. No doubt though, they will end up finding some other poor creature to sell :(

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:20:02 am »
Somebody somewhere will always be looking for an easy quid. They're the same people who'll sell you a car with a dodgy MOT, or some pullets that turn out to be cockerels, or an alpaca ;D . When the latest scam runs out of steam they'll move on to the next one.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 09:19:50 am »
Mrs snoodles, its a long fad, its being going on for two years and in the meantime, thousands of pigs have suffered
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:28:50 am »
Mrs snoodles, its a long fad, its being going on for two years and in the meantime, thousands of pigs have suffered
its a pity Watchdog or Countryfile won't take up the plight of these poor pigs, its just animal exploitation. :rant: How can a magazine like smallholder take adverts like these do they not have nay ethics
Mandy :pig:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:44:29 am by Fowgill Farm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS