Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: basic blog help please  (Read 3035 times)

deepinthewoods

basic blog help please
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:14:18 pm »
im not very good with computers. but id like to start a blog for work, could someone give me some basic advice or is it something for more techy people to do?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: basic blog help please
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:59:10 pm »

No, it's not techy at all.  Most people start with an account with a host like wordpress.com.  All you need to do is decide your blog name, sign in and off you go.  Making posts i then very similar to posting on TAS.  Wordpress is great because as your blog grows, it can be very easily ported over to your own hosting service.

Have a search for "Beginning with Wordpress" or similar, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of info to get you started.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »
Agree with Womble - wordpress is the one for me too - you can make it as simple or as complicated as you like - go for it and have fun  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 06:32:23 pm »
right, ok, thanks  thats very confidence infusing, i shall!

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:36:35 pm »
Hi DITW,

I do this kind of thing as a sideline (setting up blogs/websites - not blogging). Wordpress is ace.  You can get it for free, but your blog address will be deepinthewoods.wordpress.com or something similar.

You mention that you'll be using it for work.  In which case you may not want wordpress in your address.  If you already have a website it is easy enough to install wordpress under the same domain name, so you could for example have it at deepinthewoods.com/blog.  It shouldn't cost too much to get it installed for you - it literally takes a few minutes.  The time consuming bit is making it look pretty, but there are thousands of themes already made and ready to use which you could install yourself.

To give you an idea of cost if you're looking around, I charge £7 a month or £70 a year for hosting, and I'm at the end of the phone if there are any problems...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS