Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Berkshires need to gain min 5kg in 4 weeks!  (Read 2428 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Berkshires need to gain min 5kg in 4 weeks!
« on: November 01, 2012, 08:03:10 pm »
I have my 2 Berkshire gilts booked in for the end of November as this is the last date before Christmas.  They don't look fat; they dont look thin.  To my (very) inexperienced eye they look great.  They do rootle around during the day and run around and play, so they are certainly not sedentary.  I think they were born April and have worked out their weights to be approx 59kg. 

This seems too small to send them at the moment (yeah, I know I am looking for excuses to keep them but if they don't go in Nov they never will!) and I am wondering what else I can do.  I think it was Mandy (Fowgill) who said she aims for 38+ inches behind their "arms" - my two are 36ish.

Is a Berkshire that much smaller as a breed?  Should I be postponing THE date; should I up their feed even though they look to be in great condition?  Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:12:47 pm by Bumblebear »

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Berkshires need to gain min 5kg in 4 weeks!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:07:50 pm »
dont push them they will gain the weight and be ready for their booked in date.

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:45 pm »
They sound like they are doing fine you will be surprised how much better they will look in 4 weeks. It's not the end of the world if they are a bit small you just have smaller joints.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:30:28 am »
I would ask the abattoir what's the first date in the new year that you can book them in for, and do that instead.  You may as well get your moneys worth out of them :).

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:49:26 am »
On average they make an inch a week based on getting 5lb of feed per day so you've no worries with four weeks to go, they'll be fine.
HTH
mandy :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »
Foobar by the new year they will have put on fat they will be just right in 4 weeks
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS