Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suckling pigs  (Read 2206 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Suckling pigs
« on: November 01, 2012, 06:18:24 pm »
I have an order for a few suckling pigs which may turn into a regular thing depending on how everything goes.  The customer wants them outside in a paddock for a bit, to work off some of the fat but that is all the restaurant owner has asked for.  Both she and I are completely new to suckling pigs...both producing and cooking them.
Can anyone give me any pointers?
Cheers all

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Suckling pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 06:49:34 pm »
suckling pigs should still be on their mothers milk at the point of slaughter so not sure where they think the fat is going to be at that age.

we had a guy asking for some a while back he was not so keen when we pointed out a weaner price + killing works out a expensive product.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Castlehill Farm

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Methlick
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:17:35 pm »
Hello,

This summer we sold a 12 week old saddleback piglet for £100 and the people were real happy with it!
At the same time we did 2 for our self and had a BBQ party with everyone telling us how great the meat and crackling was and we are to do the same next summer making it a annual party!   :pig:
Pedigree Belted Galloway cattle, Soay / soay X sheep & Boer / boer X goats

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 01:38:24 pm »
Thanks :)  Had a handy chat with an ex restauranter this am.  Although suckling pig is expensive at the end of it, it is sold at the same price as quality steak, or top British lamb so I'm hoping that I can get a decent deal.  Apparently, Some people want the suckling pigs slightly bigger/older or with a different flavour, so get these to go out on grass.  I also need to work with the buyer to know how they want the pigs presented, rolled, deboned, whole, skin on/off ....a real learning curve this one!    I've been given the details of someone else that produces them, as a business, so I'll let you know how I get on, just in case anyone else is interested.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »
dont forget to check with your slaughterhouse that they will do the kill some wont i know of one that wont do it as the slaughter man objects ! i have come across this with goats too apparently one slaughterman we used did not like the way they sounded he reconed it reminded him of a baby crying  :o
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS