Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: nuclear power plants.  (Read 59256 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: nuclear power plants.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 09:39:38 pm »
DITW - no not radioactive as far as I know and no technology is going to come without a cost but just saying that wind power as it is at the moment also has drawbacks and not sure that the cost is worth it at present ..... they still need conventional power stations as back up, are unreliable and need heavy subsidies. Would it be better to spend that money working on new technologies. The companies even have to be compensated when they have to turn off the turbines because it is too windy and it is big money.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 09:40:07 pm »
I've seen Uranium mines - and the effect the s**t that gets blown about has on the people who live there (only a few natives, never mind those).  :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 09:41:40 pm »
sorry, meant to say poison dust  :&>

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:37 pm »
I may be in the minority, but I like the look of wind turbines, especially when they're going round.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 10:14:03 pm »
Maybe none of this will matter if the Mayan Calendar is right  :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »
I think there are concerns about the health risks associated with the necessary pylons and high voltage cables and not just the turbines themselves or the appearance of them. We wouldn't have been directly affected but many around us would and were very concerned.

bangbang

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:40 pm »
Maybe none of this will matter if the Mayan Calendar is right  :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
Not long now it seems! :sofa: ;D

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55:25 pm »
Yes , the end is nigh !

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55:42 pm »
Yes , the end is nigh !

deepinthewoods

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 08:18:08 am »
is it heckas like. thats half the problem, believing theres no point, there is a point! lets do it right for once.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 08:27:40 am »
Amazing. We allow the bloody Japs the job. Perhaps because they made such a good job of their own , sited them on geological faults , that turned out ok!... Glouscester is only a floodplane, well, what could possibly go wrong?
We have plent of running water in this country going to waste , Rivers dont stop running here. hydro electric power could be the long term answer , why don't we use it . The wind does not blow constantly , our water flows all the time , even small rivers could be put to use and we have plenty of them. short sighted or what? :thinking:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 08:34:41 am »
ah but you cant use water to put poisonous tips on your standard bullets.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 08:37:33 am »
Just dip e'm in the Manchester ship cannal  :innocent:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 08:40:28 am »
 :roflanim:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 08:42:55 am »

I think there are concerns about the health risks associated with the necessary pylons and high voltage cables and not just the turbines themselves or the appearance of them. We wouldn't have been directly affected but many around us would and were very concerned.
there are indeed these concerns. however japan has in place a plan to evacuate 40 million people away from fukushima cause if it goes up they will all die. now thats a real health concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS