Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Agricultural Buildings  (Read 20525 times)

bangbang

Re: Agricultural Buildings
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »
Great pics womble, We used exactly the same constuction on our building sites for materials,
with the containers as lockable units.
Up here we can find decent containers for about £600-£800, roof I would est. £600
and as a temp build I would say great.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 09:02:03 pm »
goats love hobnobs too don't you know (not the chocolate ones) probably because they taste like sawdust. 

Roxy, if you want something that looks ok, rustic etc and non-offensive, try making one out of fencing panels - you can get new wayney edged (wobbly edged) type from b&q for £13 reasonably big size, knock in a stab (stake) at each join, get a smaller panel for a door (saw through for stable type), roof can be ply with polytunnel plastic although its probably cheaper to do corrugated transparent plastic.  Get a joiner on a £150 for a day rate - it will look better and stay up longer (no offense), should only take him 2 days tops.  There are always fencing panels coming up on www.freecycle.org (sign on for your area if you want to posted a WANTED or browse what there is on OFFER) if you're not in a rush - also concrete slabs come up quite a lot too - they are pretty heavy to transport though, but then if they're free it may be worth the effort.  Your base will be the pricey bit.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 07:27:36 am »
My BIL built a goat house from slobs, these are the outside bits of pine trees that are cut off first before the wood is cut into fence posts etc. If you have a timber yard in the area you could ask them. They don't last a lifetime but are very cheap. Fill in any gaps between the slobs with clay or similar.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 10:05:27 am »
Have to say the price they quoted you is about right ours cost about £10k 60' x 40' but OH did the floor himself and the walling in of breeze blocks.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/fowgillfarm/Image0026.jpg
You can see it part built in the background of this picture, we had to have planning and i had to do an essay on why we needed it ::)  we're on the edge of the North Yorks moors national park.
It will always need to be bigger than you think, ours is already full of stuff! ;D
mandy :pig:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 11:06:09 am »
We built a lovely goat byre, by building up the stone walls of some sheep pens, putting York boarding (from tantalised planking) above it, and three telegraph poles to support the tin roof. The sheep pens already had a brick paved floor.

Didn't cost too much (wood, poles and tin) and took two of us three days. Didn't get permission. But then I live in the back of beyond.
Im very much tickled by the concept of 'tantalised' planking. Come here my lovely plank, you know you want to, have a Fondant Fancy :-DDDDD

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:37 pm »
I have ordered a large mobile field shelter  which I can gate off, and section for the moment, while I give this some thought.  Neighbour up the road has a big open fronted barn in her stable yard, its high, and big bays.  Bit wasted as all she has in it is a few bales of hay, and the farrier uses it for shoeing.  Not very good security wise, as it faces the road, and all can see in, as they drive past.
Thank you for all your ideas - keep them coming.
If I lived out of sight of a road, we would build our own, and although we are in the country, the fields can be seen from about 20 miles away, as they are high up!! 

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:35 pm »
Why not get the fieldshelters that can be towed about with a tractor , no planning needed.

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 08:55:09 pm »
Be very cautious  about buildings on ebay, standards can be very poor and thousands of pounds can vanish in a click.
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 09:58:01 pm »
We built a lovely goat byre, by building up the stone walls of some sheep pens, putting York boarding (from tantalised planking) above it, and three telegraph poles to support the tin roof. The sheep pens already had a brick paved floor.

Didn't cost too much (wood, poles and tin) and took two of us three days. Didn't get permission. But then I live in the back of beyond.
Im very much tickled by the concept of 'tantalised' planking. Come here my lovely plank, you know you want to, have a Fondant Fancy :-DDDDD

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

I didn't spot this typo.  Glad you did l&m.  Still laughing.  :roflanim:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 03:13:13 am »
gona having to find me my local planking car park to get a view in. .  :)

Great pictures of those shipping containers with roofs on.  Do you think it would stick under strict planning guidelines?

I heard that the guy off that channel 4/5 program was building a house on a trailer bed, is this true?  If so it seems to reinforce the idea that even if a building hs only got wheels with enough clout to drag it along - its portable?

Sheds are quite expensive, load of new legislation and safety factors - you've got to either choose a pro job or a few mates job, evenings, picking stuff out skips, hammer and nails job.  Both are as good as the other in the right surroundings and uses.

With making anything that involves animals - plan for the worst case scenaio. :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:15:41 am by bazzais »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 09:38:33 am »
The shipping containers wouldnt get round planning as they stand I dont think because they have no means of being moved like skids or (preferably) wheels - they have to have the ability to be towed rather than carried ie temporary and portable in nature, rather than just one in many councils eyes, tho it might be worth a try, if the structure was simple enough and the roof could be removed and reused once the containers were moved elsehwhere they might accept it.
I dont think Kevin McC was responsible enough in pointing out in words of one syllable and very clearly the care he had taken to comply with the strict rules (ie building on a trailer that did have wheels, which makes it ok), I hope others dont spend lots of money and pour love and hours into their projects only to have to pull it down as they didnt realise the crucial significance of the wheels.
Its also usage that counts - we have a static caravan - which has wheels and is portable (tho usually only travels far enough to get to the convenient place to be winched onto a lorry). But the council would still require PP if someone was living in it (unless it was an agric worker eg for harvest etc)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 07:37:58 pm »
Mobile field shelters have been getting a lot of attention round here if they can be seen from anywhere and don't actually move.  Then the enforcement notice arrives. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 12:35:36 am »
The one we have ordered is from a local stable firm, and they are pricey but built to last.  The skids are pricey too .....like a big heavy sledge. But we know we will be asked to move it, so wanted something substantial to tow!!  Have seen two field shelters  round here blown about in the gales and end up at the far end of the field, upside down. One had not been up for more than a week, and was wrecked.  Measured how high we are, and its 1000ft above sea level, and exposed, so anything up here has to be substantial.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 01:38:14 am »
Lol on the tantalised planking, bloody 'auto-correct'  :roflanim:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:27 am »
The one we have ordered is from a local stable firm, and they are pricey but built to last.  The skids are pricey too .....like a big heavy sledge. But we know we will be asked to move it, so wanted something substantial to tow!!  Have seen two field shelters  round here blown about in the gales and end up at the far end of the field, upside down. One had not been up for more than a week, and was wrecked.  Measured how high we are, and its 1000ft above sea level, and exposed, so anything up here has to be substantial.
That sounds like a good low risk plan :-)))) will you angle iron stake them down or something, I know we have to here with anything moveable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS