Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sunflowers  (Read 3976 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Sunflowers
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:59:09 am »
Hiya

Just back form a weekend in ireland and i'm guessing it was warm here as my Sunflowers have shot through and are looking grand now!!

they are in pots in the greenhouse and i was thinking about moving them out.

Now, whilst i do have plenty of space for them to go into, i was wondering how well they'll do in pots - and what size of pot will i need for a full size sunflower? I'd like to stick them out the front of the house, but it's all tarmac, so will need to be in pots. But it's a very sunny spot for them.

Failing that, they'll go down at the bottom of the garden against the fence in the raised beds.

Also, how do i go about harvesting/drying the seeds for eating? i quite like them :-)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:55:29 am »
A 10ltr pot should do it,but you'll have to water much like toms,and of course tie-in to the wall for support. As for harvesting,wait for the petals to drop,cut the stalk 4 or 5 inches back from the flower head,then hang to dry......Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:23:04 pm »
'growbags' style would work too (on their ends)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:37:43 pm »
I tried harvesting them for eating - my lord, it's time consuming, especially if you like them shelled!  Sorry but I am buying them from the healthfood shop from now on.

daviddb

• Joined Feb 2009
  • pyrenees orietales
    • flickr pictures
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 09:19:25 pm »
It's not time consuming if you give them to the pigs....................ours luv 'um!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:18:03 pm »
I didn't know the seeds had shells .  Do I need to shell them for my chickens and ducks?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:27:58 am »
It'll help the chickens and ducks if you at least crack the shells. I've improvised a pestle and mortar from a post rammer (inverted) and a post. Makes ya feel like a Masai Mara woman pulping bread fruit!! Oh,and it's also rather good for crushing oyster shells collected from the beach........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS