Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seal attacks dog in Scotland!  (Read 6604 times)

old Brassteeth

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Scotland
Re: Seal attacks dog in Scotland!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 07:35:48 pm »
The beach is a public place, you are not allowed firearms or to discharge them in a public place.

He was on the foreshore shooting ducks, which anyone can do. he is within rights to be there as much as anyone else. (unless it was a designated nature reserve)

"In Scotland the foreshore is the area of land between the high and low water marks of ordinary spring tides. In Scotland, whether the foreshore is Crown or private ownership, the Crown retains in trust certain rights on the foreshore (except Orkey and Shetland) by virtue of which members of the public may engage in wildfowling. The public right may, in certain cases, be taken away by statute, e.g. nature reserves. The onus is on the wildfowler to establish whether such reserves exist."

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 08:07:30 pm »
The beach is a public place, you are not allowed firearms or to discharge them in a public place.

He was on the foreshore shooting ducks, which anyone can do. he is within rights to be there as much as anyone else. (unless it was a designated nature reserve)

"In Scotland the foreshore is the area of land between the high and low water marks of ordinary spring tides. In Scotland, whether the foreshore is Crown or private ownership, the Crown retains in trust certain rights on the foreshore (except Orkey and Shetland) by virtue of which members of the public may engage in wildfowling. The public right may, in certain cases, be taken away by statute, e.g. nature reserves. The onus is on the wildfowler to establish whether such reserves exist."

how is it in shetland / orkney then?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 09:04:32 pm »
Are Shetland and orkney not part of Scotland these days? ;)  :innocent: :innocent: 

No shoot, no shoot  :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:55 pm »
Well the seals helped me with the round up of geese off the beach and sea the other day, they covered the deep parts my OH waded throught the shallow parts and I held the gate! They help every year , being nosey really but they work as good as any dog closing in for the penning!
Doganjo.  Perhaps its a land ownership/Scottish laird thing which Scotland has but Shetland and Orkney dont.

princesspiggy

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 09:36:44 pm »
is there "right to roam" in shetland / orkney?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 09:53:57 pm »
People can walk wherever they want up here if there is right to roam or not, no one bothers. I love folk to walk on my land up to the waterfall, do a bit of trout fishing, look at the archaelology etc. `If folk use common sense and lock gates, dont walk through crops nobody will bother them. Unless, you have a gun, or take something then you will soon get 'noticed'. A lot of abandoned roofed crofts up here still have furniture, ornaments and even plates on the shelves. You dont go near them.I heard a tale of two men carrying an old chaise longue right over the moor from an old croft to the road . A woman was waiting for them and just said " now carry it back" They did. A few incomers who dont understand the we only live here for our lifetime and play the "My land" card dont get far.In Shetland they dont say where do you live they say where are you staying which to me says your just one of many, the land is always here  but you are not. Sums it all up.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »
Great attitude, Hermit.  As you say sums it up.  We only borrow land, houses, animals etc  in this life.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS