Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seal attacks dog in Scotland!  (Read 6606 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Seal attacks dog in Scotland!
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:41:38 pm »
Poor poor bloke and poor dog obviously.  A friend said he had to shoot it on the beach.  Who would have thought.   :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-19882985

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Seal attacks dog in Scotland!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »
Oh, that's so sad - poor dog  :'(
We love taking our dogs for a run on the sand & a paddle - may be keeping to the local lochs after hearing about this  :o
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:21:23 pm »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o

Okay, going on holiday to Scotland soon with a dog who loves nothing better than a bit of sea swimming and is so friendly he would think swimming with a seal just great ...... or maybe not?????

I'm guessing this is a one - off occurrence or is it something that does happen fairly often (given that there were warning signs) ?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:35:47 pm »
 :o  :o I never would have thought! And a seal was spotted last year in the river just along our walk where many dogs swim.

Was this near a known seal colony area I wonder?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »
Poor poor bloke and poor dog obviously.  A friend said he had to shoot it on the beach.  Who would have thought.   :(

He just happened to have a gun with him on a public beach?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:00:27 pm »

He just happened to have a gun with him on a public beach?

They were working.  It was a gun dog. Yes he had a gun.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:11:11 pm »
 Reading that page, the situation makes more sense. A terrible thing for such a young lad to deal with. The suffering of the dog doesn't bare thinking about, thank goodness he did have a gun to end it there and then.

Can see there would be such danger in a seal populated area.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:59:04 am »
I'd have shot the seal too! >:( >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 11:02:03 am »
Who would have thought that a seal would do this, maybe young ones around. My dogs love the sea but now we will keep them out as there are seals all around our area.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 11:10:56 am »
The beach is a public place, you are not allowed firearms or to discharge them in a public place.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 11:54:21 am »
That's what i thought, he shouldn't have been on the beach with a gun.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:19:59 pm »
The seals come in to  pup this time of year, it was probably a male seal protecting its young/ territory .They are just arriving in the bay at the front of my house, they do get very active, thrashing and barking . The sign was there for a reason and I hope the vandals are sorry and have learnt a lesson. It is a good job the lad had a gun and knew how to use it to end the poor dogs suffering but I dont know how the gun laws work up here as there are no trespass laws and folk can walk anywhere. I do know you cannot shoot on someones land without WRITTEN permission as I dont allow shooting on my land and have 'explained' :innocent:  to a few folk in the past.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 12:42:38 pm »
tresspass with a firearm .   It is a very serious situation ,not adhering to the laws ,governing the issue of a firearms certificate .Even other offences can result in the guns being removed from you and no chance of getting them back .

People have a right to roam ,but that is even restricted , if you care to look in to it.A very serious offence is being committed by totting guns on property that the gun owner has no right or privilege to .

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 10:46:12 pm »
we were on that nature reserve / beach the same weekend and there were over 100 seals in the short stretch of river we were by next to the sea. probably loads more we didnt notice. poor dog tho.

its the first time we had been there and did wonder why every dog was on its lead  ???  my daughters were in the water up to their knees too, argh, never realised seals were like that.   :o :o
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:51:19 pm by princesspiggy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS