Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck enclosure question  (Read 13268 times)

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
Duck enclosure question
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »
Hiya, looking for a bit of advice, we have 4 ducks that have a large night time enclosure (fox proof) and an even larger day time enclosure, we have tried wood chip as flooring for them with a seperate gravel area where their pool is, but the wood chip just seems to disappear into the mud when we have heavy rain.

So any suggestions as to what would make a good floor covering?

I put a post on here regarding an article in the country smallholding magazine recommending rubber chippings but I'm guessing this isn't commonly used as I didn't get any replies.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated  ;D

Blueeyes x

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Duck enclosure question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:18:53 pm »
Yes, I saw that rubber chippings advert - wasn't sure about that at all, they might eat them was my first thought. 

We keep lots of ducks but in a very different situation to your so don't have this problem - however, I use plastic grid mesh for the outside of our goats pen - its the stuff you buy off a role at the garden centre - usually green or black and you can put it around young trees etc - perhaps if you put a length of the smaller gauge type under the chippings (and on top of the mud), it would help - you can then just lift the mat/length each week and your chippings will still be on the top - throw them away and replace with fresh.

We use it to stop our goaties sinking in the mud and getting it stuck in between their toes.  Works quite well.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »
I used to have a lawn, but the recent and long-term wet weather made it very pleassant for the ducks to create a mud heaven....I found the only thing that stops the sinking feeling is to create pathways with pebbles collected from the veg beds. They do sink down eventually but there's always more stepping stones to be found... ::) :&>

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:17:41 am »
Yes their enclosures used to be grass but it didn't last long! They seem to love the mud but I don't think it can be good for them to be stood/sat in mud, think it will be some thick weed control and more bark chippings put down, might extend the gravel areas too, just always think it can't be comfortable on their little webbed feet  :-\

Thanks for the replies  ;D

Blueeyes x

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:42:40 am »
my ducks roam free dring the day, but at night they have an enclosure with a dog kennel to go in for shelter.
on the ground in the outside bit of their pen i have some rubber matting down, works well,
 it does sink into the ground where the moles have made tunnels, but this just makes nice paddling pools! i just sweep it out every morning.
my geese have the same arrangement.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Lync

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »
 :wave: Hi, Our ducks and chickens used to roam free until a couple of weeks ago when a buzzard killed our Matilda duck - bit of a shock as was more concerned with foxes!  Only come out under supervision at the moment which is a pity.  Our duck enclosure is terrible due to the heavy rain and is almost an entire mud bath - I'm concerned about the ducks if it keeps as wet as this - surely it can't be good for them all the time!  I noticed the rubber things in the mag as well and wondered what they were like.  Will have to keep thinking - would the pebbles etc not hurt/damage their webbed feet?
2 Border Collies, Hens - 1 Light Susex, 1 Black Rock, 1 Speckledy and 2 Bluebells, 4 Lohmans, 2 Welsumers, 1 speckled maran, 3 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Buff Sussex.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »
I don't have pebbles everywhere, just where there is a lot of mud...the ducks seem to manage just fine, I make sure there a no sharp ones, just round pebbels. And as they sink eventually.... ::) :&>

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 05:45:13 pm »
 ;D  So basically all ducks are just mucky little bu**ers  ;D  So very cute tho, think I might need to buy shares in a wood chipping company.

Hmm just a thought could wood chips be used from a log cutter or do they need to be treated or processed or something? Or would they be too sharp?

Any thoughts?

Blueeyes x

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:11:23 pm »
Shouldn't need treated provided they have nothing on them in the first place and if they're too sharp the ducks will let you know by being hesitant about crossing them.  We had gravel in our last place and the ducks used to take a detour to avoid it.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:26:10 pm »
I was told not to use wood chips fro ducks as they would eat them and get stuck in the gullet.  Particularly not to use treated ones as there's something in the chemicals they use that's poisonous to birds.  No idea what it is though.

My ducks (pre fox kill) were in a large enclosure that was grass to start with and ended up slimy mud.  I used the rubber door mats you get from supermarkets (about £3 each) as a path to their dog kennel and cage - needed about 6 I think.  The mud didn't seem to bother them, and they free ranged on my front grassy paddock during the day.  I curse myself every day for leaving the cage door open that night! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 09:39:36 pm »
Omg doganjo my heart goes out to you, the thought of anything happening to my 4 makes me feel sick!

I think the mud bothers me a lot more than it does the ducks, I like to see them in a lovely enclosure, all neat & tidy  ::)  Think I need to realise it isn't going to happen with ducks  ;D

Will have a look at rubber matting, someone else has done that as well.

As always thanks for the reply  ;D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »
oh, Annie, that's so sad...you must get some more soon to get over that !  :bouquet: :&>

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:51:09 am »
Our ducks love making mud. When we empty their little pool they will sift down and create a nice mud pool. I would hate to deprive them of it as the rest of their area has been baked solid and remains very dry.
What about some good wellies  ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 12:06:45 pm »
Oh how cute would they look in little duck wellies  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 02:34:00 pm »
...a Beatrix Potter in all of you I think  :D  ....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS