Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Marsh Daisy Hens  (Read 4036 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Marsh Daisy Hens
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:43:32 pm »
Bought some at the Carlisle Rare Breeds auction last week as I had remembered they were pretty and rare breed and give the occasional egg.  Very pleased with our young birds which are laying, healthy happy little creatures.

They are free-ranging with our Welsummers at the moment and have taken to roost in the duck shed.

Anyone have experience of them? We have plenty experience of other hens but these are our first Marsh Daisy.

Thanks
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Marsh Daisy Hens
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:23:02 pm »
Hi Goosepimple. We had one called Twiglett. Was an original spec, not one of the recently messed about with (by the breed club) varieties in various subtly different colours. She had a good sized rose comb with the required pimples on it and she was quite fiesty. Lobes should be white but Twigletts lost their colour after her first year. Legs should be yellowy olive green, same as the beak. Laid about 130 eggs in her second year. First year was very poor as she was a Fox attack rescue and didn't settle down for three months afterwards.

Good choice as they are endangered and can lay acceptably well. Why there are not more about I don't know?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:01 pm »
My friend is trying to breed a good line of them. She has found that buying eggs from ebay is not reliable - poor hatching rate or birds that are poor examples of the breed. She is not breeding on from these. She has managed to source some good growers this year and has a few good older birds.

From what she has found out and I have read, there are some issues with poor fertility/hatch rates with this breed. Possibly as a result of a relatively small gene pool/in-breeding.

I think the birds are hardy and good free-rangers.

Do you plan to breed them?

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:02:59 pm »
It's a breed that I've been interested in for about a year now.  They are definitely on my list for next year.  I decided to go for Old English Pheasant Fowl this year instead, which is another rare breed.

I liked the idea of the Marsh Daisty's coming from Lancashire as well.  I do have a friend who recently bought a couple from somewhere local to me so will get some next year.

Helen

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:00:48 pm »
Thanks all - yes they are pretty little things and seem quite friendly to the other hens and don't seem to mind the geese and ducks either. 

Not sure if I'll get some hatching eggs next year, may just buy more Daisy hens as the cockerel thing gets to me.  Swore if I bred hens again I would only do Cream Legbars as they're colour coded at birth so I can despatch the cockerels then.  Always feel though that rare breeds should be breeding!

Think I will try and find out where my ladies have come from via the auctioneers and check out the breeder / hatching eggs thing.  Will let you all know if you are interested on a catch up thread on here.

Nice hennies though, very pleased.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:53:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Yes please.

vulpes

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:14:45 am »

I feel compelled to correct some items stated regarding Marsh daisies .
1--They are not endangered but included in the RBST poultry breeds at Risk Register
2--Leg colour is --Pale Willow Green
3--Beak colour is Horn
4--A Marsh Daisy Breed Club was disbanded a lot of years ago and the breed was then taken over by
the Rare Poultry Society .

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 05:21:54 pm »
Thank you - do you have some?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 08:09:09 pm »
I have some-have some brown pullets and a nice buff cockerel that I need wives for. They are pretty, busy wee things-quite different to my Scots Greys. I like both breeds for different reasons!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 09:06:28 pm »
Yes, I like Scots Greys too.  Pity there aren't more marsh daisys about, don't know why they're not so popular, like Welsummers but prettier, eggs aren't as good as Wellies though, they have nut brown thick hard shelled lovely eggs, we still have one left but I don't know where she's sneaking off to lay her egg, marsh daisys are white, nice though I haven't had a white egg in years.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS