Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Festival feedback please  (Read 20872 times)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Festival feedback please
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 08:10:06 pm »
Sadly now same date as the Hebridean Sheep Society and Rare Breed Sale at Caledonian Mart Stirling on 28th September - not good for either event!  :'( - Sunday next year please !

Really enjoyed showing birds last year at Forfar and had hoped to do so again but sadly only one sale for the sheep breed so can't be there sorry. 
I see from the Lawrie and symington website its a car boot sale on the Sunday! >:(
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:29:04 pm by Big Light »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:45 pm »
Sadly now same date as the Hebridean Sheep Society and Rare Breed Sale at Caledonian Mart Stirling on 28th September - not good for either event!  :'( - Sunday next year please !

Really enjoyed showing birds last year at Forfar and had hoped to do so again but sadly only one sale for the sheep breed so can't be there sorry. 
I see from the Lawrie and symington website its a car boot sale on the Sunday! >:(

That's a real shame - we did check all the dates that were pbished but Caley aren't very good at that.

Maybe the Hebs should move the show and sale to the Festival like the Dexter cattle  ;)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 07:45:35 am »
Your right you normally get two weeks warning :D suprised its out this early - so few things for country folk its Sods law in action

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 11:33:53 am »

That's a real shame - we did check all the dates that were pbished but Caley aren't very good at that.

Maybe the Hebs should move the show and sale to the Festival like the Dexter cattle  ;)

The end of Sept date is the same each year for the Heb S&S plus Rare Breeds at Caley Marts.  For the Hebs, the S&S was moved down from Oban, so going even further south would put it out of reach of the Highlands and too close to Carlisle.   I think it was contemplated having it at Lanark, but it would have been in August with the Shetland S&S and was decided against.
Were the HSS to move to Lanark for just one year, the Rare Breeds sale at Caley would probably fold so it wouldn't be there for us the following year.   Unfortunately any change would be bad for the HSS in both the long and short term.  Still, I will put it to them.

All being well, we should have a couple of Hebs at Lanark, unless we need to check for a new tup at Stirling - will know closer to the time.   Maybe people will manage both shows ie one partner going to one, the other to the other.

It is a huge shame that the clash has occurred, as Lanark is in the heart of Heb country (ie plenty of owners around) and we had hoped for a good turnout this year  :( .  However, there are so many other events round about that time that there is always going to be a clash with something.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:36:14 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 11:04:09 pm »
Aha - I should have checked the info as the Hebridean Sheep Society Show and Sale and the Stirling Rare Breeds Sale are in fact on Sept 21st, so no clash  :relief: .  I have just heard back from the Chairman of HSS who has found that the date printed in the HSS Blackboard (newsletter) was incorrect, so that will be changed in the next edition. 

So - panic over and we can all go to both events  :excited:   :knit:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:20:47 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 06:50:02 am »
Thank Fleecewife / apologies Dan / Rosemary hope to make it now ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 08:31:54 am »
So - panic over and we can all go to both events  :excited:   :knit:
:relief: :relief: :relief:
 :excited: :excited: :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 08:50:44 am »
 :relief: :relief: :relief: :excited: :excited: :excited: indeed

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 12:26:25 pm »
I have just realised the 2013 show is in Lanark and I must admit I feel really disappointed.  At least the Forfar venue was reasonably central (if a little far from West coast and far North).  But now it’s moved south of Edinburgh smallholders in the North are left with very large journeys if they want to attend.
I’m sorry it moved, I won’t be going this year.  Feels like something else being taken away from country down to the city.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »
I have just realised the 2013 show is in Lanark and I must admit I feel really disappointed.  At least the Forfar venue was reasonably central (if a little far from West coast and far North).  But now it’s moved south of Edinburgh smallholders in the North are left with very large journeys if they want to attend. I’m sorry it moved, I won’t be going this year.  Feels like something else being taken away from country down to the city.

Sorry you feel that way, but we'll be back! We always intended to alternate the Festival each year between a 'northern' venue and a 'southern' venue.

Unfortunately there is no single venue in Scotland that is ideal for everyone, and we think that alternating the venue provides more opportunity for people to show and visit at least every other year, and keeps the event fresher - we expect to see a different emphasis in the breeds on show, and definitely get a different range of attractions and stands.

We'll be back north of the central belt again in 2014, and hope to be able to announce the venue soon.  :)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:56 pm »
I realise I live in the north and everywhere is far away ....

Edinburgh to Lanark 33miles - to Forfar 74miles
Glasgow to Lanark 27miles - to Forfar 93miles
Aberdeen to Lanark 151miles - to Forfar 53miles

Even when it's in the 'north' it's not close - difficult for those north of Inverness or in the west.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS