Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Festival feedback please  (Read 20879 times)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Festival feedback please
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:32 am »
I like the Sunday too, I was glad to be able to transport my pig the day before and to bring her back without worrying about rush-hour traffic. I did get some interesting comments, while unloading her, from the football fans who were leaving the adjoining ground  :D
I was bloody glad to have Monday off, but would have been fit to work if I'd had to. If it'd been on a Saturday I would have had to travel up on the Friday, which would have meant taking Friday afternoon off work. Having it on Sunday meant that my husband was around to help me load her, and to look after the other animals while I was away. So I'd vote for Sunday for future shows!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 12:00:08 pm »
I was very sad to miss the festival.  We decided it was too far to travel home on Sunday for our young son going to school Monday.  Another year or two's time perhaps  :fc: unless it was extended to Saturday of course  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 12:51:09 pm »
I was very sad to miss the festival.  We decided it was too far to travel home on Sunday for our young son going to school Monday.  Another year or two's time perhaps  :fc: unless it was extended to Saturday of course  ;)

It's in Lanark next year... much closer for us Englanders!  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »
I only missed it due to our Group Shetland show which should have been the middle of October, Someone forgot to book the venue. Sunday is a good day I think. less people needing time of work and a good day out for the locals. Lanark will be great as I can visit mum at the same time during that weekend.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 01:55:26 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just checked out where Lanark is from here. 2.5hrs whooopeeee. Will see you all there next year  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 05:26:45 pm »

Quote from: SallyIntNorth

Just checked out where Lanark is from here. 2.5hrs whooopeeee. Will see you all there next year  :excited:

:excited:  YEssssssSSS!!  Help with the Spinning  :knit: :knit:, Help with the  :knit: Spinning  :excited: :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »
So sad not to have been there - but Rosemary, Dan, just think of everything this little website has come to, you're a big part of something that will be noted down in social history as a quiet revolution in the way people live today, it's quite an amazing feat really.  And an awful lot of hard work I bet.  :relief:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 08:16:39 pm »
One of the biggest "surprises" has been the amount of work AFTER the event ;D

But we've almost got our feet cleared, just the accounts to do  :'( then a couple of weeks off, before starting to plan the next one.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 11:43:07 am »
J
One of the biggest "surprises" has been the amount of work AFTER the event ;D

But we've almost got our feet cleared, just the accounts to do  :'( then a couple of weeks off, before starting to plan the next one.
JUST the accounts to do!  You must be better at it than we are.......
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 01:05:38 pm »
We travelled down from north of Aberdeen to the show as a family and really enjoyed ourselves.  As fairly new smallholders we got lots of information from some very enthusiastic breed representatives and had lots of our questions answered (and a few ideas put in our heads).
I didn’t manage to attend any of the talks, but there looked to be lots of people at the ones that were going on.  All in all from a non-exhibitor/visitor point of view it was very good and much more focused on my interests than many of the large agricultural shows I have been too.
The only comment I can ad is that maybe there could have been a couple of signs within Forfar as we drove all round the town before finding the mart.
Thanks for a good informative day out.

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 02:29:56 pm »
Had a great time well done to all that took part. I enjoyed the demos especially the sausage making. Might consider a trade stand next year. I make handcrafted artisan soaps and Hubby makes chilli jellys sauces e.t.c. We aslso breed and sell rare breed chickens. Thanks to all for a great day.
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 02:55:45 pm »
I was soooo glad it was on a Sunday - since my Saturday job is the only job I have, it would have been pretty impossible for me to go otherwise! Most things are on Saturdays, I always seem to miss out...

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 05:34:10 pm »
The only comment I can ad is that maybe there could have been a couple of signs within Forfar as we drove all round the town before finding the mart.
Thanks for a good informative day out.

Some friends of ours, also from north of Aberdeen had the same trouble.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 03:34:24 pm »
Ummmm....

I have become dimly aware  :dunce: that the 2013 Festival is now to be on the Saturday.

Which is good news for some - jaykay for one! - and less so for others (sorry Ina!) :(.

It still clashes with Massam Sheep Fair  >:(.  This year I intend to be at SSGF, but give fair warning that I'm not missing three Massams! 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 03:54:37 pm »
Couldn't get Lanark as a venue on a Sunday, so Saturday it had to be, I'm afraid.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS