Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roe Deer - roasted  (Read 3357 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Roe Deer - roasted
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:33:32 pm »
I just have to share this.
Our neighbour shot a Roe Deer yesterday morning and gave us the front quarter. He is a good country cook and suggested that we rub it in olive oil and simple dry mixed herbs - leave it overnight then "paint" it in simple smooth Dijon mustard. we cooked it under foil for about 2.5 hours ( meat temperature was 77 - 82 degrees). I braised some shallots with it. I took the dried pan juices ( no fat) and melted them in some veg stock before adding flour gradually added veg stock to thin the thickened mix. We left the venison to rest for 10 minutes.
The best venison ( Roe Deer) ever - not hung !!! - tender and so tasty.
Serve with a 2009 low priced Bordeux.  :thumbsup:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Roe Deer - roasted
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:21:53 pm »
Stop it.  You're making me feel hungry.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:14:16 pm »
Sounds lush!!! Wish I had a neighbour like that, the amount of hunting that goes on round here, someone must shoot something!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:15:28 pm »
Mary - as you know La Chasse ( The Hunt) started just a couple of weeks ago so no more walks on a Sunday or Thursday. They shot 2 mushroom pickers and another hunter 4 years ago.
Last December when Chris was home alone a man knocked on our door and thrust a bag of blood on her. Our elderley neighbour had told him to visit us as La Chasse hunts all around us and we are "PEASANTS OF THE COMMUNE". It was a quarter of deer.
Our neighbour farms Limousin pink veal but it is too expensive for him to eat !! ? We give him duck and rabbit so I am happy to accept whatever he has.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
Did you hear what happened to us last year MAK? It was a Sunday morning and we were indoors minding our own business, when I heard this noise. I looked outside only to see hunting dogs running across our front garden, no more than 20 yards from our front door, followed by hunters (with guns obviously) who must have broken through the hedge to cross our land. They crossed the lawn and through the hedge the other side onto our top field.
Then later, a dog broke away from the hunt and came back to our garden and was sniffing around our barns etc. It was just lucky that the goats and chickens were in their respective runs that morning, as normally the boys are let out early.
I went to the Mairie on the Monday and actually saw the Maire to complain. Ive now got Chasse Interdit signs up and Ive had no problem since. I know we live in the countryside, and I do love to hear the sound of the hunt every week, but there was no way that they should have been so near to our house. I think over here, they are not allowed to be within 150 metres of a property. I didnt even get a hoof in compensation!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:22 pm »
That's bad, Mary.  You should have got a whole deer for that.  Or at least your hedge repaired.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS