Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chutney question  (Read 3536 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Chutney question
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:49:17 pm »
Just made a job lot of chutney, apple, courgette, tomatoe and chillie, salt, pepper, ww vinegar and balsamic vinegar, white and Brown sugar, and a splash of brandy, Lemon rind and juice of a lemon, now I've filled 5 jars to top, paraffin wax disk etc, all sterilised, I've got half a jar left .

It's very nice at the moment but still a little vinegary so it needs aging, can I just leave the half a pot unopened, it was potted whilst everything was still hot, without it going mouldy, it's a daft question, there just seems to b a lot of air in the jar, half of it actually.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Chutney question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »
I think that with all that vinegar in it, it should be fine. I often have a spare half a pot after dividing it all up into jars. Perhaps  you could keep it in the fridge just to be extra sure and use it as soon as it loses the vinegary tast. Sounds lovely by the way.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:03:52 pm »
Cheers, will do

Normally don't keep the last little bit, but stil eating chillie jam, which by the way s fantastic with Cumberland sausage and mash   :thumbsup:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:06 pm »
I always have tester pots in the fridge , just use it as soon as you can, no rush. By the way , just an observation , I might be wrong but I hope you have put proper  lids on as well as chutney evaporates and just wax lids are no good for ones to be stored.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:16:16 pm »
 :excited: proper lids, sterilised and screwed on whilst still hot... I didn't know you could just use wax lids

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »
I think you can just use wax seals and cellophane/ band lids on jams. I saw on a programme the WI disqualify jams with wax seals and lids, you either use one or the other.
Just making sure as you only mentioned the wax lids. I didnt want you to waste your chutney :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS