Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rare breed sales on sat  (Read 4291 times)

robert waddell

rare breed sales on sat
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:02:10 pm »
now i am only guessing but were the sales on sat good or a disaster    i was at stirling and it appeared a disaster   this is just my view     what are other thoughts on this  and any reports of other sales that we missed :farmer:

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: rare breed sales on sat
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 03:21:11 pm »
The Heb sale was up and down - good females made good money but it was probably a bit heavy with males so the better end were sold and a few didn't make the prices people were after. Think the top 2 males were about the 250 - 260 guineas mark and there were 4 or 5 gimmers above and below the 100 guinea mark. In general prices were okay. That said i bought a couple of older quality sheep at reasonable prices.

I saw some of the rare breeds later on not making what people were after. Just not sure whether in the current economic climate people have the same spare cash as they had before. I like you took my tup lamb home ( i think you were going into the ring as i carried it past you) However It was graded by the heb society good in all categories so will keep it for another day.

There was a bit of confusion with lot numbers getting presented out of order because they had been in certain pens and i certainly missed one i was thinking of having a crack at. I'm sure there might have been others in a similar position.

It was difficult to judge numbers of buyers against previous years due to the change of ring but i thought there was less folk around, not sure what your thoughts were on that score but to me that would make less competition and lower prices

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:44:46 pm »
i seen the high priced tup and the round of applause for it      not that many buyers i think more lookers than buyers     the sale at the livestock mart on wed was a bit of a disasster as well  :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:50:33 pm »
Bit mixed at Carlisle. Shetland prices about right, Ryeland prices high, some poultry prices madly high but others less so - Goosepimple didn't get much for her ducks. Don't know about the rest.

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:49:56 pm »
I think the sale @ Caley was a bit of a disaster on Sat. The shetland tup lambs were not even getting a bid on them @ £1. Alot of people dont realise there beloved little sheep sold cheaply on sat and is off to the killing house.I was also at the Zwartble sale on Fri at the UA and that was a joke the Society need to sort themselves out but the UA didnt help think the Auctioneer was having a bad day.So all in all think the sales are down this year

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »
The man we're having our Oxford Down tup from said there were 16 in at the Kelso Ram Sale and only 4 bidders!  Doesn't look like the texels & suffolks had the same issues though ;)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:13:38 pm »
My Jacob tup lambs did rubbish and I took one home. My nanny kids on the other hand got £70 each, quite good I thought!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »
My Jacob tup lambs did rubbish and I took one home. My nanny kids on the other hand got £70 each, quite good I thought!!
You sold female goat kids thorugh the auction mart??? :o

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:43:15 am »
Tip, I sold 2 nanny kids and a billy kid at the Caley on Saturday

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:42:01 am »
As i said to j Kay i didn't  get the sale .When i go to a sale which is 220 miles i make my mind up that the stock is going no matter whot iff it  makes a £10 or 90.Everey sale iv been to you could pic my birds out always fed waterd  and clean and look good .So 70 cages light Sussex cages myn went for £10 for 4 hens 2012 so £6 for the cage  £4 for the hens .Next 3 light sussex  hens £28 very nice hens so i bought them ,and the next pen 6 nice hens £52 .The mistake i made i had 6 leg bars very good stock  i sold them for £100 on the Friday on Saturday i could of got £80 for 2 hens they were that good the other thing 3 blue bells £100 next light Sussex cross roads that's whot I'm doing at the moment i thought IL by 4 pens so i said £40 each pen 3 hens i couldn't get them for £50 a pen so all in IL be back there and get the money back .S0 the next sale the last 1 DINGWALL sale on November the 3rd .Iv done well at all sales sheep hens etc but i do think its the end to the rare breeds i sold a trio of road bar for £70 i then sold 4 Sussex cross silki for £80 the feed will kill it as well as the pigs i dont keep pigs i had them 18 months ago and i do miss them getting the hose on a hot day watering them all gone naw
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:47:44 am by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS