Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which grass seed  (Read 2389 times)

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
which grass seed
« on: September 23, 2012, 03:32:20 pm »
hi, i have 4 acres that i want to put down to grass and run our sheep on, my plan ideally would be to have half of it for use as hay and the rest as grazing and keep alternating. our soil is fairly heavy as we live next to the marsh :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Re: which grass seed
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:52 pm »
The answer to that question is not quite that simple,

We sell several types of seed - short term 1 year medium term 2 - 3 year or long term 5 Years+, with or without clover? for hay or sileage? A traditional mix as per 1900's or a more modern blend? etc etc.

A Permanent Pasture mix will cost you around £72 per acre or less for 5+ Acres and is generally sown at 14Kg per acre.

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 11:35:46 pm »
This is a complicated subject.  Take a look at http://www.eblex.org.uk/returns/Better-returns-sheep.aspx and you'll find it's all about compromise.

First thing though is to do soil tests
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:44 am »
We've got some basic articles to grassland management on the site which might make useful background reading:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/smallholding/grassland-management/

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:57:42 am »
And Cotswold seeds are also very helpful - the more you go into it...it is bamboozling!  We went for quite an old mix permanent pasture, with added herbage,  as we dont intend to be ploughing and reseeding every 3 or 4 years (or even ever if possible!) and wanted a mix that was quite stable and diverse without complex additions.  LIke you ours is grazing and hay.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:25:10 pm »
I was going to say Cotswold seeds for permanent pasture. :D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:59:35 am »
thanks for info everyone.  :sheep: :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS