Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hernias  (Read 17837 times)

robert waddell

Re: Hernias
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 02:39:19 pm »
no confusion on my part Lynne
and that is my point Lynne you start with a small number but all these  6000  pigs should or could be traced back to the original imports  and as i said you could have the same boar or sow name but totally unrelated

the bkks issue the eartags  when you register them  is that right
the eartag identifies that individual pig    you don't write the herd book insertion number in     the movement book or paperwork     and both numbers should be on the registration card/papers :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »

the bkks issue the eartags  when you register them  is that right
the eartag identifies that individual pig    you don't write the herd book insertion number in     the movement book or paperwork     and both numbers should be on the registration card/papers :farmer:
:thumbsup:   ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:49 pm »
no confusion on my part Lynne
and that is my point Lynne you start with a small number but all these  6000  pigs should or could be traced back to the original imports  and as i said you could have the same boar or sow name but totally unrelated
 ...  :farmer:
Yep - every registered KK in the UK (& I believe Eire & other EU countries) SHOULD be able to be traced back to these original 16. 
For example Portia ( my Rebecca Gina sow Herd Book No: 4759) can be traced back to Willowbank Rebecca Gina (Herd Book No: 3) the original imported Rebecca Gina, SoS (my Te Whangi Boar Herd Book No: 5251) can be traced back to Willowbank Te Whangi (HB No: 1) - there may be a 7 generation gap since 1992, but looking at it carefully it is possible to see that there are many common in-crosses too.
I will be the first to admit that I know nowt about other pig breeds & I'm guessing with the rare British breeds it's not just lines, but numbers that are low.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »
since i cant get on the kk website to trace the ancestry        but it does seem odd  that Allison ended up with a Tarra's bred boar  from Neil cross    with the same pet name as we gave him    and blow me the very same number  that a female pig had   that we also owned :farmer:     which dates it at 13 years old at slaughter     and if it is a kunnie issued tag it should relate to that pig   either with the tag number or the herd book insertion number    so either way it should trace back to the same pig :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 03:30:19 pm »
Yep - I admit I find it just a wee bit confusing - I don't understand why the BKKPS tag doesn't match-up with the Herd Book No.
But, to get back to that sow Robert - HIGHLY coincidental, but it could be  :innocent:

HappyHippy

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 03:41:09 pm »
Yep - I admit I find it just a wee bit confusing - I don't understand why the BKKPS tag doesn't match-up with the Herd Book No.
But, to get back to that sow Robert - HIGHLY coincidental, but it could be  :innocent:
I think it's because all Kunekunes are registered in the herd book, but only the breeding pigs are issued numbers for ear tags.

What sow are we talking about ? I'm confused !

Anyway, I went and dug out all the pedigree's I have  ::) ;) - the only one that shows a 'Tarras' line is Harriett, infact the only one with any Tutaki in the lines is Harriett.
Does that help clarify anything ?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 03:52:41 pm »
I think it's because all Kunekunes are registered in the herd book, but only the breeding pigs are issued numbers for ear tags.

What sow are we talking about ? I'm confused !

Anyway, I went and dug out all the pedigree's I have  ::) ;) - the only one that shows a 'Tarras' line is Harriett, infact the only one with any Tutaki in the lines is Harriett.
Does that help clarify anything ?
Haha - that makes sense Karen  :notworthy:
I think it's Mildred or 287 - not sure  :eyelashes:
"Tarras Tutaki I" is in Tommy's ancestory & in Joyce's (obviously, she's Harriet's niece  ;)  ) so Joyce's litter to Badger (Tommy's son) will have it in both, just way, way back.  The" Pioneer" KKs were the foundations of each line  :love: :pig: :love:

robert waddell

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 03:59:35 pm »
the whole pig id thing is or can be confusing     no tag or individual number up to a certain age
pedigree pigs have to be individually identified  at weaning  with no possible mixing of litters
Scottish executive issue you with a herd number as well
and sheep are just as bad   one herd number for ordinary sheep and a totally different one for pedigree
you cant remove a tag as that is illegal  and could end up if you followed the rules with an animal that has an ear like a Christmas tree
the bpa herd book number is longer and more straight forward than the kunnie one and can be traced both ways either book number or individual id number
now the cards are reissued to the new owners on becoming members of the bkkps as do the bpa and if the number is the herd book number it should still come back to that pig

86 registered breeders is a far bigger gene pool than some of the bpa breeds Hampshire's have about 13 breeders    and are really struggling to get anything past grandsire or dam that is not close related    which is why i commented on your opinion initially

and if it is herd book registration numbers it makes interesting readingaround 550 registrations in three and a half years  and the next year only 135 with more pigs :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 04:15:01 pm »
hallelujah  we are making progress     287 was a boar   pet name George   839 was a sow named mildred    and younger sow 974 which was Matilda      we had them for two years they then went to oban rare breeds  then lee and Allison end up with them     now George was 8 years old when we parted company with him   and had the number 287 he then reapears at Allison's with the number 974  and blow me is related to both of your lines    which is what i said all that time ago   and George is tarus tutaki    which is Neil cross bred    and he died a short time after we bought them from him    and from memory oban rare breeds did not have any kunnies prior to buying ours :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »
Sorry, I didn't count Harriet as one of my lines (no offence to the wee girl, it's just cos she's new here  :D)
In the original breeding pair of Kunekunes that I bought there's no trace of the same lines as yours were Robert, which is probably why they were a different size to the one's you had.
Harriet is smaller and dinkier compared to my other ones, poor love's udder would be in the mud if she was outside now  :o :roflanim: But there are a range of sizes, from 24 to 36 inches tall are 'accepted' as being within the breed standard - that's bigger than most folk think  :innocent:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »
found it!
ok, sorry for the confusion, Tarras Tutaki 1 Herd book number 1147 and BKKPS no 974 (i had just written 974 in my movement book)
Breeder Neil Cross, DOB 22 march 2002
Robert, your name appears july 2004

so its worth keeping these cards!

robert waddell

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 04:47:08 pm »
on my trip to hatfield is where the size difference came into it   a bit more than 12 inches    in the small corner is Wendy's pigs and the large ones were the ones getting the accolades     it would be interesting if Harriet is as prolific as the other ones that are bigger

this is all getting away from the external protrusion of an internal organ through the membrane that holds it in place :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 04:53:59 pm »

this is all getting away from the external protrusion of an internal organ through the membrane that holds it in place :farmer:
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

robert waddell

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:33 pm »
now that we have made some headway could you search 839 and287   now we know that is there mumbers  and not the herd book insertion number  :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »
now that we have made some headway could you search 839 and287   now we know that is there mumbers  and not the herd book insertion number  :farmer:
Only way of tracing them is to use the Herd Book No,  those 2 no's are Trevanion Rebecca Gina IX & Summerhayes Awakino III - I guess on the BKKPS Registrar or a previous owner whose kept the Reg cards would be able to match them up  ::) 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS