Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hernias  (Read 17835 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
Hernias
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:22:01 pm »

What is the 'expected level' of hernias that one would normally see in a litter from a pedigree herd.

I always believed that it came from the boar but talking to some breeders at a recent show in the UK - they say it can be from sow or boar.

Would appreciate other breeders experiences. Thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Hernias
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:44:04 pm »
We had quite a few incidences of scrotial hernia's in the Kunekunes (but they are more prone to it than most breeds I believe due to a weakness in the inguinal canal) In my case I would say it was the boar who passed it on, because recent litters with a different boar have had none. I did do a bit of research into the numbers/patterns with other Kunekune breeders, but everyone had different experiences, and there wasn't a pattern that stood out  :-\ :thinking:

I've not had any with my 'big' pigs, but have only seen 47 'big pig' piglets born so far.

Does that help at all ?

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:10:47 pm »
never had it in breeding pedigree pigs       and only onehernia in a castrated boar  (cross breed)   and that cured itself  as the pig grew

if you goggle hernias in pigs this will give you a better indication     although hygiene and care of the piglet after birth  has a greater bearing in it :farmer:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »
You can also encourage hernias if you pick a piglet up incorrectly, many people pick up and carry by the legs but recent research has shown that this can cause hernias.  We always grabbed by the back leg then scoop up and hold that way. Piglet yells but that is part of the course.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »
Just for clarification - are we talking scrotal or umbilical hernias here  ???
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:30:09 pm »
sorry I am talking umbilical
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:35:43 pm »
sorry I am talking umbilical
No need to apologise Linda  ;)  - just finding the thread starting a wee bit ambiguous  :innocent:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 08:01:27 pm »
Oh sorry - I don't write very well and tried not to be ambiguous.

Beewyched - it is scrotal - it looks like fluid and is on the left testicle. Our vet will deal with it but I am trying to detect why it is happening and from what sow or boar.

Twice this year same sow (served by a different boar)  in her litter 2 piglets that have an enlarged testicle - looks like fluid. Not noticable at birth - until about 3-4 weeks.

HH yes thanks useful info - I am trying to see if there is a pattern too. I am pointing the finger at the sow and so want to be wrong ... could be the boar (s) I am going to AI her next and see what happens.

thanks everyone for the input - I posted this to see if other breeders experienced hernias with their pigs - I knew about the KKs but these are in my Berkshire herd although not many over the period of 4 years -  but -may be there should be none - hence the question? what is the expected level and what breeders do when this happens.  Thanks again.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 08:26:08 pm »
Hi Nelson  :wave:
Thanks for the clarification, as both Karen & Linda had answered your question, depending on which type you were asking about  :thumbsup:
TBH I think all breeds experience scrotal hernias to some degree, they are just noticed more in KKs because
a) 99% of male piglets are castrated, as KKs are often kept as "outdoor pets" or companion pigs
and
b) KKs are usually castrated by a vet (because of the hernia possibility), so the vet will offer to repair it - adding to the cost of the castration by many vets  ::)
KKs, though small, start maturing sexually very young (from about 5 months), so even if they are being reared for meat, they are often castrated to prevent unwanted pregnancies or "boar taint".  Whereas the "big pig" breeds are rarely castrated, as they are ready "for the chop" a lot younger.
Any boar piglet that I looking at keeping entire (only 1 in the last 2 years) gets checked by my vets at 3 weeks & 5 weeks of age for scrotal hernias, as they can be very slight.  I personally do not ask my vet for a repair in any piglet going to a new long-term home, they get kept-back for meat, as a repair is not guaranteed.
Certainly scotal hernias can be passed down either the sow or the boar sides, & with KKs there is such a small gene pool in the UK they more likely to occur - though I guess this could relate to any low-numbers breed.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:00:43 pm »
don't agree with Lynne on the small gene pool   yes if a breeder cant be bothered to travel to get a different line    but even if there are two boars with the same male breed line they can be totally unrelated  through the sow line
i think nelson has answered his own question     which brings the breeding of pigs into the same question  as the breeding of dogs with known problems      not all piglets should or could make it perpetuate there breed   and comes down to the breeder to be more ruthless in the selection of the future breeding stock
we castrate nearly all the males  and it is only a lucky one or two that get left intact

the cattle world  only use pedigree sires for service  and only the very best at that  the meat trade buy the cheaper ones or the ones that don't quite have that edge for breeding :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:20:33 am »
Twice this year same sow (served by a different boar)  in her litter 2 piglets that have an enlarged testicle - looks like fluid. Not noticable at birth - until about 3-4 weeks.

What we had with one of ours (KK) was what looked like a hernia, similar story to yours, we were rearing him for meat (unrepaired) when some folks came looking for pet pigs, they liked the look of Lumpy too  :innocent: so he went along with them. They decided not to eat him and took him to their vet for a hernia repair job  ;)
It turned out it wasn't a hernia after all, but that one testicle hadn't developed properly and there was excess fluid in the area........ was it definately a hernia in yours ?

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 02:14:11 pm »
Hi HH - interesting

We intend to take him down to the vet Monday and will see then - will let you know. Thanks again for input.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »
don't agree with Lynne on the small gene pool   yes if a breeder cant be bothered to travel to get a different line    but even if there are two boars with the same male breed line they can be totally unrelated  through the sow line
i think nelson has answered his own question     which brings the breeding of pigs into the same question  as the breeding of dogs with known problems      not all piglets should or could make it perpetuate there breed   and comes down to the breeder to be more ruthless in the selection of the future breeding stock
we castrate nearly all the males  and it is only a lucky one or two that get left intact

the cattle world  only use pedigree sires for service  and only the very best at that  the meat trade buy the cheaper ones or the ones that don't quite have that edge for breeding :farmer:
Ok Robert, we'll agree to differ on this one, but ...
ALL KKs in the UK are descendants of the 16 that were originally imported by the BKKPS & some of these 16 were related too -
1992 - Te Whangi (Boar), Rebecca Gina (Gilt) & her litter-brother Tutaki, Awakino (G), Kereopa (G).
1993 - Tammerdale (G), Ru (B) & 2 Awakino litter-sisters (G) (this litter had the same Dam as the Awakino Gilt imported in 1992)
1996 - Andrew (Boar) & his 2 litter-sisters Sally, 2 Trish litter-sisters & 2 Jenny litter-sisters
So IMHO that is a small gene pool.  I agree that any responsible breeder should be prepared to travel for quality stock - I nearly drove my OH crazy with the mileage I got through sourcing mine, but I now have 2 boar-lines & 3 sow-lines, which I can cross-over for a couple of years, plus Karen has another Boar-line too  :thumbsup:
Then I'll be on the road again  :eyelashes: 

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 11:01:24 pm »
they cant have eaten very many of the offspring from that first import off 16     in just 22 years  to get the vast number of kunnies that are going about      or is there great number due to outcrossing   and passed off as pure       there are two distinct sizes of kunnies as i saw at hatfield last year   and the litter size has increased dramatically  since i breed them  Karen's boar line should trace back to the ones we owned 
i could be wrong but i think the Hampshire's has a smaller gene pool than the kunnies    and the breeders are getting less  as the economics of pigs strikes home     Mr pig may come in and impart his knowledge on this :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 08:57:28 am »
Karen's boar line should trace back to the ones we owned 
What was your prefix with the Kunekunes ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS