Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hernias  (Read 17836 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Hernias
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 09:26:43 am »
IME Robert, that is probably the case - even nowadays some folk find the idea of eating KKs abhorrent  ::)
I agree with you that there has been a certain amount of "out-crossing" & not notifying litters over the years in response to the bl**dy "micro-pig" craze  :furious:  But this now seems to be finally dwindling - hence there being so many "free to a good home" recently.
Hopefully, we are now moving to a new phase - where all breeders of KKs act as responsibly as other Rare & Minority Pig Keepers - birth notifying all litters & only breed registering piglets that meet the Breed Standards & the rest go as "outdoor pets"/companion pigs or pork  :fc:  With the ever increasing costs of feed, I have noticed a change of "customers" over the past year - I very rarely get enquiries for "mic**-pigs" now (  :excited:  ) & whereas I used to have 3 regulars for meat weaners, I now have 8 & orders from the next litters  :thumbsup:
I will try & do some more research on litters & sizes - I think the increase may be due to the change in breeders' husbandary - though I could be completely wrong.  All registered KKs should be traceable back to the 16 original imports, so I could do a genealogy trace for you - I wouldn't mind betting part of my herd is related to ones you owned either  :eyelashes: 
 :love: :pig: :love:

Just noticed you here Karen  :wave:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 10:04:51 am »
 :wave: :wave: :wave: See you soon mrs  :excited: :excited: :excited:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 10:26:04 am »
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 10:28:04 am »
Lynne that lottery win you will get before the kunnie society  act responsibly
when we were members and paid up as well they were wanting to fix the price of weaners  and even got as far as the agm to set it in stone     obviously some money grabber was not happy that somebody was selling kunnies for half of what they were charging       anyway the monopolies and mergers committee got wind of it and stopped them      make a point of talking to Wendy   i have and very interesting as well     but do it face to face

Karen our kunnies came from Neil cross     we then sold them on to oban rare breeds who then sold them to  lee bastow   who sold them to you    dates and numbers escape me just now the movement book for that time was lost then found and now lost once more  and i think Allison stephen had some of the descendants as well   if i have been informed correctly :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 10:48:10 am »
So, if we're looking at that side Robert, I reckon that your Herd Affix would have been Ubarrow, Elthorns, Lazyape or Gibston?
 :love: :pig: :love:

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 11:00:37 am »
none of them we bought them in DEC 03            974 was a year and a half old        839was two and a half years old        287was6 years old   they came with 5 piglets  that we never registered    they were sold in Jan  05 to oban rare breeds with there paperwork    hope this helps you with your research :farmer:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 12:20:12 pm »
none of them we bought them in DEC 03            974 was a year and a half old        839was two and a half years old        287was6 years old   they came with 5 piglets  that we never registered    they were sold in Jan  05 to oban rare breeds with there paperwork    hope this helps you with your research :farmer:

we then purchased 974 (george) october 07, lovely boy but never produced any piglets!!!!

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:29 pm »
George was Tarras Tutaki i

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 12:38:14 pm »
974 was a female   at least on my movement book   287 was goerge     839 was mildred   and 974 was matilda :farmer:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 12:54:08 pm »
hmmmmm! just checked the numbers on the KKPS website and all are female! I havnt the original registration card for George but that was the number ive got down in my movement book for George, he was put to sleep Jan 2011.

robert waddell

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 01:08:44 pm »
287 was male     that makes him 13 years old    if it was the original george     neil cross was one of the original KK breeders    he is dead so no action from the grave on this one :farmer: 

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »
My boar was Te Whangi 3194, none of your pigs' numbers feature on his pedigree Robert and my wee sow is 3195 - again no trace of 287, 839 or 974.

Here's what I found from digging in the herd book,
Pig 287 (Summerhayes Awakino 3) definately female  ;D has had 2 pigs registered from her Palomar Awakino 1(816) and Palomar Tutaki (966)
839 is a Travanion Rebecca Gina - she's not had any offspring registered.
974 is Montgomery Awakino who did go on to register two gilts.

Did you register any piglets with the BKKPS ? Would the herd name have been Blackfaulds?

I think one of the females at Oban rare breeds was bought by Lee and did come here along with Sydney and Adelaide (the ones above). She was barren though and we never managed to get her in pig  :(. She was happily living here, keeping the boar company til we had a phonecall from someone desperate for a pig to keep her VPB pig company - she came to look at piglets and fell in love with stroppy Victoria  ;D so she's still going strong, ruling the roost in a livery yard just outside Cumbernauld  :thumbsup:
Don't know what happened to the other ones though  ???

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 01:17:00 pm »
That sounds right, think Lee had Mildred.

robert waddell

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »
now  this is intriguing    either the herdbook is wrong   or Neil cross was at it    that is the numbers that we have interesting that the registrations are up over the 3000  so not a small gene pool after all     the cards were given to oban rare breeds   so all i have is the entries in the movement book coming here   and the paper copy of going to oban    this would have been taken from the tags in the ears
Tarra's was Neils herd name    blackfaulds would have been ours  without the cards we are in the dark  but the cards were checked of against the ear tags  :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
 :idea:  that's the problem - the BKKPS eartag number is in the KKs ear
The BKKPS Herd number is another number - which is used to trace ancestory/progeny
Both numbers are on the Registration card - I think that's what causes the confusion Robert - as you'll have put the eartag number on the movement, not the Herd Book number  :eyelashes:
Yes, I know KK Herd Book numbers have gone over the 6,000 mark now - as my latest Registration (ready for Forfar  ;)  ) is 6367 - but they do all originate from the initial 16, just various combinations of them & their progeny  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS